Style > Fashion

Why Princess Diana Remains a Timeless Fashion Icon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

Season 5 of Netflix’s The Crown aired on November 9th with Elizabeth Debicki (The Great Gatsby, Tenet) depicting the latter half of the late Princess Diana’s life. Her failed marriage to the then ‘Prince’ Charles and the issues that arose from that, her philanthropic work, and her relationship with her boys all featured in this season… so why is the internet fixated on her wardrobe?

When you think of Princess Diana’s style, your mind is most likely going to go straight to her iconic “Revenge Dress”. Worn at a gala at the Serpentine Gallery in London in 1994, the risqué black silk number garnered a lot of attention. Not only because it was unlike anything the Royal Family had ever publicly worn before but because it was worn whilst her husband’s infidelity with Camilla Parker-Bowles was broadcast to the nation.

“Hell may hath no fury like a woman scorned”, but it also doesn’t know how to subtly give the middle finger whilst wearing an iconic Christina Stambolian dress.

Her necklace, a seven-strand diamond choker with a repurposed sapphire brooch at the centre (a wedding gift from The Queen in 1981), showed how she was rewriting her image. From a meek, young girl who married into one of the most powerful families in the world, to an independent woman who was taking control of her destiny, however that may have looked.

This outfit, for me at least, solidified my admiration towards her and her strength. Using fashion as an armour and a way to alter people’s perceptions of her was something that seemingly came naturally, especially after her divorce. The shift from Princess Diana-Prince Charles’ wife, to Diana Spencer-activist and mother.

After the divorce she was much freer… Everything became more streamlined and somehow athletic, in line with her role as a committed charity worker, and she moved to navy-blue, greys and pastels.

Anna Harvey, Vogue, November 2020

Another staple piece is the ‘Lady Dior’ bag. First created in 1995, its popularity skyrocketed once it was seen on the arm of Lady Diana in Paris and it was renamed in her honour. Its iconic silhouette is a testament to its namesake’s memory, the longevity and irreplaceable nature of it, unable to be imitated — no matter how hard some people try to do so. Her switch from Chanel to Dior marked a turning point for her too, the interlocking C’s reminding her too much of her ex-husband and his mistress. She was a new woman.

It’s things like these which helped to ensure Princess Diana became and remained a timeless fashion icon. Her signature hairstyle, the Revenge Dress, and the Travolta Dress were iconic pop culture moments alongside her Dior slip dress at the 1996 Met Gala (part of the inspiration for the slip dress trend that’s become a staple in people’s wardrobes recently) and her turquoise Versace body-con at a charity ball the same year.

Her influence on the industry and fashion lovers, both young and old, is still prevalent today and continues to reach younger generations as more media surrounding her life is released. For Gen-Z Tiktok, Pinterest and Instagram users, it’s virtually impossible that you haven’t seen her iconic biker shorts and crewneck combo either on the Princess herself or on someone trying to replicate her love of ‘athleisure’ wear.

For those who remember her fondly, whether friends or fans, incorporating elements of her style into their own outfits is a way to keep her memory alive and these homages towards her ensure her contributions to the industry don’t fade into the background.

Regardless of your views on the Royal Family, one thing can’t be denied: Diana Spencer was a living, breathing fashion icon and she was taken from us too soon.

Hi! My name is Tanisha Ascott (they/she) and I’m a first year English student at KCL. I’m a fan of everything from interior design, to historical / contemporary fashion, to political issues. You’ll most likely find me crying over Pride & Prejudice (2005) if I’m not in the library.