stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Volunteering for Animal Lovers!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

Volunteering: a word we are accustomed to, especially whilst at university. We all seem to get busier and busier as the semester kickstarts, however in reality it is possible to free up some time (maybe reduce a few minutes of Netflix?) and give back to society for the causes that matter. 

If you feel passionate about animal rights and wellbeing, working with them in a voluntary capacity can be incredibly rewarding. You get the chance to do something that you truly believe in, all while giving something back to society. Whatever form it may be, raising awareness, helping gather funds, or just giving a little bit of your time. 

Here in Central London, there are many places where animal lovers (yes, you!) can volunteer – from dog walking, to taking care of farm animals, to mucking out horse stables, we have got it all! 

1. Vauxhall City Farm 

VCF is a charity which relies on volunteers to help run the farm yard, riding stable, and assist in fundraising. This is the perfect place for you if you’re willing to roll up your sleeves and get stuck in, muck out a stable, catch some chickens, groom a guinea pig and hug the odd goat! An additional plus point is that it is located in zone 1, a 5 minute walk away from the Vauxhall Station (and hence super close to university!). For more information, feel free to browse their website.

2. Battersea Dogs and Cats Home

An organization that is supported and enhanced by the efforts of dedicated volunteers who assist in animal welfare roles to office duties and events staff. As a volunteer here not only will you get time to spend with furry friends but also gain several transferable skills. To become a volunteer, check out the vacancies and sign up here.

3. Blue Cross 

This organization’s rehoming and veterinary services helps thousands of pets every year. As a volunteer you can become a pet foster carer, help deliver pet education programs to young people, work in a Blue Cross charity shop, take part in fundraising activities, provide emotional support to bereaved pet owners and help with walking, grooming and feeding animals and cleaning kennels. There are several locations where you can help out at which can be found here.

So what are you waiting for? Start contacting these organizations to make the most out of your university life. Its also a great way to make new two-legged and four-legged friends

A 3rd year Biomedic Student at King’s College London, an animal lover and a spiritual seeker. When I’m not working on lab reports and dissertations, I enjoy practicing typography, dancing, and binge watching friends.
President of Her Campus KCL!