This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

Used by the NHS to help smokers quit, e-cigarettes are seen as a safer alternative to smoking as they contain nicotine but do not many poisonous chemicals contained in tobacco smoke, such as tar and carbon monoxide. Nicotine unlike tobacco does not cause cancer, which kills thousands of smokers every year. However, after 13 deaths and 800 cases of lung disease from vaping in the US, is vaping really a safer alternative?

The issue with vaping is that while it is relatively safe compared to smoking, we do not yet know the health effects of this somewhat new product. The cause of the 13 deaths and illness from vaping in the US is still not clear, officials think chemicals contained in e-cigarettes are to blame but this has not been confirmed. It is possible that vaping can heighten the risk of seizures from high doses of nicotine. One e-liquid pod for the Juul device contains the equivalent to a pack of cigarettes in terms of nicotine content. Moreover, vaping can also cause lung irritation. This has been shown by research on wheezing, which found that the risk of wheezing nearly doubled among vapers compared to those who did not vape or smoke at all. Unlike smoking, the effects of vaping are not yet known. This safer alternate still clearly presents problems and risks that, means perhaps this alternative should be approached with caution. 

The main danger with vaping however, lies in its appeal to the non-smoking young generation. In America, a survey found that 1 in 9 high school seniors vape daily.The appeal of vaping to young people is clear. E-cigarette companies offer a wide range exciting flavours including mango, cherry crush, strawberry mint, green apple and bourbon caramel. Rather than a nicotine-providing alternative to smoking for those giving up, vaping instead reflects a fun trend for young people. Furthermore, the devices are discrete and convenient. Unlike smoking, the smell of vaping does not last, making it somewhat easy to vape indoors and the smell is not distinct meaning it is easy to hide unlike the strong smell of tobacco. Moreover, as it is supposed to be a safe alternative, devices are readily advertised, for example on buses, while the advertisement of smoking is illegal. This means that young non-smokers can overlook the dangers of vaping as it is presented to be completely safe.

Overall, while vaping is supposedly healthier than smoking, we do not yet know its long-term affects and it has led to mysterious deaths and illness. In light of this, the vaping trend amongst young people is alarming. Nicotine is addictive and the unknown affects of vaping could be dire. Vaping could be a safer alternative for smokers, as it does not contain many of the harmful chemicals from tobacco, which cause cancer. However, for young people who do not smoke, vaping with its exciting flavours and advertising presents a danger arguably worse than smoking. 

History student at KCL from Sheffield. Loves travelling, museums and festivals!
President of Her Campus KCL!