books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

Stephen King once said, “books are a uniquely portable magic”, and I couldn’t agree more. I read a lot in 2023, especially over the summer, and I was lucky as 2023 apparently was the year of good books, in my literary world. I didn’t read any books which I strongly disliked (a win in my eyes). Therefore, I thought it is only fair to compile a list of the top 5 books I read in 2023.

Small Worlds – Caleb Azumah Nelson

Caleb did it again with this perfect piece of contemporary fiction! Following the late teenage life of Stephen, we see happiness, difficulties, and a lot of dancing throughout the novel. Caleb Azumah Nelson seamlessly weaves in lyrical language which fits perfectly with the underlying musical theme throughout. This book challenges themes of love, family, losing oneself and others – the presentation of being lost in your teens/20s is spot on. Set during the summer primarily in London, you feel the characters’ warmth through the pages. A must read for anyone obsessed with beautiful writing styles and the feeling of human connection.

Restless – William Boyd

I found a true love in William Boyd this summer. I could not put down ‘Restless’, so knew it needed to be on this list. This book weaves in the story of a female World War II spy told 30 years later with her daughter’s struggle to find herself. This book is exciting, gripping and action packed. I read reviews for this book and someone said it “felt like I was reading a movie” and I couldn’t agree more! I desperately want to be transported back into this world that William Boyd created.

The Cellist of Sarajevo – Steven Galloway

This masterpiece tells the story of people trying to survive in war-torn Sarajevo in the 1990s. This is a beautiful and haunting tale of the devastating circumstances faced. We see human behaviour in every extreme to create this harrowing tale. The novel focuses on three characters’ storylines, all weaving together to form a distressingly magnificent story – this is an unforgettable read, filled with heartbreak and emotion.

Blue Minds – Wallace J Nichols

Even I am impressed a non-fiction book has made the list! I have never been much of a non-fiction reader, but I decided to read this for one of my university modules, and I thoroughly enjoyed it! The writing was easy to read, yet emotional and powerful. Using an array of scientific methods, we read all the benefits of water – from the ocean to a glass of water and everything in between. This book can help you feel grounded and connected, as well as inspired. I would thoroughly recommend to anyone wanting to get more into non-fiction, with a small curiosity for science.

In Memoriam – Alice Winn

Set in World War I, we follow the journey of two best friends, secretly in love. They go from boarding school to the trenches. They must grow up quickly. Their classmates are enlisting and dying in the same breath – and they don’t know if they will be next. Alice Winn writes about love and terror effortlessly, with every scene filled with passion and dread. This book shows so many sides to the war and is truly a spectacular read.

These are my top 5 reads of 2023. I must also give a small note to ‘The Thursday Murder Club’ Series by Richard Osman – I loved this series because it’s charming, playful, and addictive. Let’s hope 2024 brings more good reads!

Carys Grieve is a writer at HerCampus in the heart of London at Kings College London (KCL). She expresses all silly opinions on all things style: fashion, trends, London gems and beauty secrets. Carys is completing her final year at KCL studying neuroscience (its as gross as it sounds). After graduating, Carys intends to continue her studies by completing a master’s in clinical neuroscience to get her one step closer to going into dementia research. (After travelling the world) Carys spends all her time reading and eating. She will NOT shut up about a good book and she will spend all her money on cinnamon buns (she’s trying to find the best one in London) She likes flexing that she surfed at Bondi beach and that she touched Jason Derulo.