The Top 5 Destinations For Sunseekers To Travel To In The Winter Vacation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

As winter casts its frosty veil over the United Kingdom, the desire to step out from the winter blues in London has become intensive. There is a yearning for college students to leave the lecture halls and embark on a journey with glorious sunshine. If you are a sunseeker who would like to escape to sunnier climes, the upcoming winter break is the perfect opportunity for you to embrace the winter sun, enjoy vibrant cultures and create unforgettable memories. I have curated a list of the top 5 destinations that are suitable for a winter sun holiday, which will hopefully assist you in planning your perfect winter vacation!

1. Cornwall, United Kingdom

Flight Time (from London): 1 hour

Average Temperature in December: 10°C

Attractions & Places to visit: Penzance, Land’s End, Saint Michael’s Mount

If you are a person who has a low budget or wants to avoid the hassle of international travel, Cornwall is a hidden gem right on your doorstep. It is a county with a world-renowned coastline, golden beaches and various unique attractions that are definitely worth exploring. Even though this coastal paradise isn’t blazing in the winter season, its plentiful sunshine can still offer a wonderful winter sun vacation.

2. Montenegro

Flight Time (from London): 2 hours 45 minutes

Average Temperature in December: 14°C

Attractions & Places to Visit: Lovcen National Park, Old City, Mogren Beach, Blue Cave

With less than three hours of flight time, you will be able to revel in the beauty of the Adriatic coastline of Montenegro. Montenegro is a stunning country with a blend of majestic cliffs, breathtaking beaches and a laid-back atmosphere. You can either choose to hike in the mountain trails of Lovcen National Park or relax on the Mogren Beach whilst catching the pleasant winter sun.

3. Cyprus

Flight Time (from London): 4 hours 30 minutes

Average Temperature in December: 22°C

Attractions & Places to Visit: Sea Caves, Nissi Beach, Makenzie Beach

If you are looking for a sun-soaked seaside vacation, Cyprus is a gorgeous destination that you should consider. This island country with rich history and culture is situated in the Mediterranean Sea, which boasts a myriad of idyllic beaches. Who doesn’t like sinking their toes into the warm sand and enjoying the refreshing breeze, as well as the endless view of the sea?

4. Nice, France

Flight Time (from London): 2 hours 5 minutes

Average Temperature in December: 12°C

Attractions & Places to Visit: Vieille Ville, Bellanda Tower, Fontaine du Soleil, Museums

As the capital of the French Riviera, Nice is an elegant and multicultural city. Its mild weather in the winter is ideal for sightseeing. Imagine yourself walking in the warm embrace of the Mediterranean Sea, visiting art museums with captivating art collections and tracing the footsteps of the ancient civilization.

5. Pattaya, Thailand

Flight Time (from London): 14 hours 40 minutes

Average Temperature in December: 31°C

Attractions & Places to Visit: Sanctuary of Truth, Tiffany’s Show Pattaya, Pattaya Water Park

For those who are planning to spend their vacation in an exotic destination, Pattaya in Thailand is an amazing choice. In this vibrant city, you can start your sun-drenched adventure by exploring ancient Thai traditions and enjoying modern water sports activities, whilst also immersing yourself in Thailand’s diverse food culture.

Whichever of the above attractions you choose to traverse, I’m sure you will create great memories there. So, get ready to pack your suitcases, grab your sunglasses, and embark on your unique winter sun vacation!

Peggy is a content writer at Her Campus at the King’s College London (KCL) chapter. She focuses on creating content for the life section. Peggy is from Hong Kong and this is her fifth academic year studying abroad. She is graduated from Newcastle University with a BA (Hons) degree in Media, Communication and Cultural Studies, and now pursuing her MA degree in Digital Culture and Society at KCL. In her free time, Peggy loves traveling, listening to music, watching movies, having bubble teas and browsing cute animal videos :)