This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

There is no denying that the Star Wars cinematic, merchandising, and comic-book universe dominates our world. In its 1977 beginnings, it effectively reinvented how audiences witnessed and experienced the science-fiction genre and entranced a multi-generational audience. However, the continuing success of the franchise is not because of its marketing plan, or the date of existence. Instead, its due to its central, universal story that inspires us to believe that we all have the courage of Rey, the sass of Han, and strength of a Skywalker within us all. 

The release of ‘Episode IV – A New Hope’ created new cultural waves and reinvigorated the genre. This namely began with the creation of a new visual effects company, ILM, established by George Lucas. The utilization of digital motion control photography, the desire to impose over-exposed colours, and the replication of an ethereal atmosphere brought us the Star Wars universe. The franchise’s set-design, combined with recognizable locations, such as the Death Valley, Abu Dhabi, and Iceland, ensures the audience is pushed to the bounds of our natural worlds and into the realms of the next. 

Its marketing strategy cannot be understated, either. The Star Wars universe was helmed by guiding ship that was George Lucas and the prominent production company, Lucasfilm Ltd. Its marketable reboot, enabling a younger audience to witness the wonders of the galaxy while appeasing the loyalists, the company was bought by Disney for roughly $4 billion. Recreating the new galaxy of Star Wars increased confidence in the sci-fi genre, enables Disney to preserve the franchise’s development, and recreated a new journey for, genuinely, the entire family.

This can be most clearly seen through the ‘Episode VII – The Force Awakens’. Echoing the original narrative of Episode IV, the redefinition of our typical 20th Century heroes into diverse characters with a wealth of backstory. The new legacy holds up a mirror to the deficiencies of our typical hero stories, instead, adding to them while retaining the integrity of the story that entranced us with its beloved beginning. Firmly placing the audience within the Age of Resistance, not only does the sequel trilogy reintroduce the external threat of an oppressive, de facto Empire, the primary threat it centers around is the darkness within ourselves. Should we resist our desires to do better for ourselves, or those around us? Should we give in to our ambition, or our pure morality? These are all narrative themes explored in the sequels, updating a timeless story to encapsulate what it means to grow up, grow wise, and appreciate the lessons of nostalgia. 

Star Wars’ most powerful force isn’t its dominance of its genre. Rather, it is helping its audience realize it is strong within us all and binds us together among the vastness of galaxies. 

Law student, avid writer, and all-round opinionated. Keenly interested in charity work, the world of literature, and creativity, this account will be dedicated towards creating articles filled with stories, statements, and views.
President of Her Campus KCL!