This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

It is known that I am a big book nerd. I am my happiest in a bookshop. The smell of the books, being totally immersed in finding your next read, and the warmth of a bookshop is perfection in my eyes. I have thought long and hard about my top 5 favourite books. I have come up with this list, but I could list another ten 5-star reads. This list isn’t in order, as I think that would be an impossible task. Here we go.

• The Night Circus- Erin Morgenstern

This book is pure magic. Morgenstern manages to create a whole new world in less than 400 pages. This book is about a travelling circus that has some hidden secrets that we learn about throughout the book. I fell in love with the characters in this, I never wanted it to end. This book can be confusing at times but it’s worth it for the story’s unfolding. This book was so immersive. I felt like I was there at the circus watching people defy the laws of humanity and I adored it.

• Homegoing- Yaa Gyasi

I have never read a book like this one. This story begins with two sisters from Ghana, who end up having very different lives. Each chapter is about the next generation down and how the first two sisters’ upbringing impacted the lives of future generations. This book is raw and shows the beauty and cruelty behind human behaviour. Gyasi covers much of Ghanaian history in this book, and it is amazing.

• The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and The Horse- Charlie Mackensy

I think this book has many levels to it. Although a children’s book, this book can help everyone. The messages throughout are so simple yet so powerful and impactful; it seems to tell you exactly what you need to hear each time you read it. Each page shows a new piece of art, bringing the story together in a beautiful way. Everyone I know who has read this book loves it and I can see why.

• The Offing- Benjamin Myers

This is quite a different book for Myers to write. The Offing follows the journey of a young man, Robert, on his walking trip around the UK. He meets a wonderfully unique older woman, Dulcie. Together they form the most precious and unexpected friendship. They teach each other about the joys of life. The way Myers describes the setting of this book is beautiful and immersive. This book makes my whole body feel warm and happy inside. It shows that sometimes the most beautiful things in life are simple, and we are all capable of anything.

• Open Water- Caleb Azumah Nelson

This book. Wow. This book is pure poetry throughout. Every line, every word, is so thought out that it is lyrical in reading. This book doesn’t have too much of a plot. It follows the lives of two black British artists living in London. We follow their love story and part of their life story. We see the trials they must go through, racism, masculinity, love, and much more. This book may make you cry, happy and sad tears. The language is original and spine-tingling throughout. I can’t recommend it highly enough!

I hope this list has given you some inspiration for finding your next read!

Carys Grieve is a writer at HerCampus in the heart of London at Kings College London (KCL). She expresses all silly opinions on all things style: fashion, trends, London gems and beauty secrets. Carys is completing her final year at KCL studying neuroscience (its as gross as it sounds). After graduating, Carys intends to continue her studies by completing a master’s in clinical neuroscience to get her one step closer to going into dementia research. (After travelling the world) Carys spends all her time reading and eating. She will NOT shut up about a good book and she will spend all her money on cinnamon buns (she’s trying to find the best one in London) She likes flexing that she surfed at Bondi beach and that she touched Jason Derulo.