Life > Experiences

Living On A Tight Budget? Ways To Find A Part-time Job In London

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

It is well known that London is a vibrant but expensive city to live in, especially for college students with a limited budget. Beyond tuition fees, daily necessities, including rent, transportation, groceries, and hanging out with friends, are costly. It can be a daunting issue to balance spending while maintaining an active social life. If you are worried about money at the moment, please know that you are certainly not alone! In my opinion, getting a flexible part-time job is a practical way to cover expenses whilst enriching your spare time and gaining work experience for the future.

Jobs On Campus

As a college student, your university is a valuable resource for job opportunities. Make sure to explore any relevant information from the official page of your university and use the keywords ‘careers’ and ’employability’. DO NOT miss opportunities that you can apply to directly through the university community.

For KCL students in particular, King’s Talent Bank is the on-campus job agency that offers numerous student jobs, such as student ambassadors. You can easily register for temporary positions within individual departments and external opportunities. Beyond this, KCLSU is another avenue that also provides part-time roles, so remember to keep an eye on it.

Indeed

Indeed is a job website that is extremely useful when you are seeking a part-time job. You can access millions of job vacancies with filters based on location and job titles. For instance, if you are looking for a part-time role as a barista, you can refine your search to London coffee shops and this will immediately generate a lot of results available for application.

Walk In

From my personal experience, walking in is the most efficient way to get a job! You can simply visit coffee shops, restaurants, or retail stores that you are interested in and directly ask the manager about available part-time positions. Don’t forget to bring some copies of your CV with you since on-the-spot interviews may happen. It is normal to be rejected but the more opportunities you approach, the greater your chances of success!

Become A Blogger

Nowadays, social media has become another popular portal for earning money. If you are talented in filming videos, why not consider being a blogger or a social media content creator? Social media platforms, like TikTok and YouTube, are potentially beneficial spaces for setting up your channel and conveying your creativity to broad audiences. In this way, you can fully control your business without being restricted by time and geographical limitations.

Whilst developing your part-time career, it is important to find a balance between your work, study and social life. Time management is always crucial but this helps to make the most of your time for personal and academic growth. By prioritising tasks and setting realistic goals, you can foster an equilibrium that nurtures your overall well-being and enjoy every aspect of your university life.

Peggy is a content writer at Her Campus at the King’s College London (KCL) chapter. She focuses on creating content for the life section. Peggy is from Hong Kong and this is her fifth academic year studying abroad. She is graduated from Newcastle University with a BA (Hons) degree in Media, Communication and Cultural Studies, and now pursuing her MA degree in Digital Culture and Society at KCL. In her free time, Peggy loves traveling, listening to music, watching movies, having bubble teas and browsing cute animal videos :)