How These 5 Christmas Movies Taught Me Important Lessons

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

Entertainment provides relief from the mundanity of adult life. When people absent-mindedly flick through the selections of Christmas movies, naturally gravitating toward familiar favourites, they have a goal of switching off from their overwhelming life to enjoy a long awaited moment of relaxation. Whether a moment experienced alone or shared with friends and family, seasonal movies ignite a certain spark of childlike nostalgia. Growing up is often a precarious journey of inner conflict, yet this stress can be alleviated by immersing oneself in the familiar world of a movie.

Media serves as an omnipresent memory. Movies can be rewatched, relived and replayed. Alongside the comfort generated from friendly characters and comical plots, Christmas movies often provide messages of morality or ethical direction.

That being said, here are 5 lessons I’ve learned from 5 Christmas movies.

the grinch

The 2018 animated adaptation of Dr Seuss’ renowned How the Grinch Stole Christmas, narrates the story of the pessimistic ‘Grinch’, who attempts to spoil the fun of Christmas for the inhabitants of ‘Whoville’. His master plot to steal Christmas stems from his own insecurity and jealousy; the idea that radical plots are often designed to escape a concealed isolation. Mary-Lou courageously extends kindness to the seemingly threatening creature, proving the significance of acceptance and generosity; sometimes all it takes is a friend to chase away the loneliness and the destructive effects it can cause. The altruistic qualities portrayed are admirable, proving how the benefits from going the extra mile to try and use empathy and consideration instead of judgment are endless. Furthermore, Mary-Lou is not afraid to trust her instincts as she willingly reaches out to someone likely to reject her efforts. This quality of trying despite the possibility of being rejected is in its own way, quite magical. The nostalgia behind the simplicity of a story with a kind protagonist is undeniable. Watching The Grinch, I am instantly transported back to a time of bedtime stories and warmth. The Grinch also taught me that there is always a possibility to change and improve your personal situation, all it takes is an ambitious spark to jumpstart the journey to change.

Elf

Released in 2003, this American comedy starring comedian, Will Ferrell, and actress, Zoey Deschanel, is a coming-of-age story which touches heavily on self-acceptance. The story chronicles the life of ‘Buddy’, a human adopted and taken in by Santa Claus’ elves. Upon discovering that he is in fact human, Buddy embarks on a mission to New York City to find his biological father and save him from Santa’s naughty list. Despite facing many struggles, he remains sympathetic and optimistic, always demonstrating kindness and empathy to those around him. He is the embodiment of how living with passion and being ambitious can bring out the best in oneself as well as others. Being oblivious to negativity also allows him to unashamedly profess his love to those he cares about. Actions speak louder than words, and not being intimidated by fear leads to being able to convey acts of devotion. Living life as ‘Buddy’ is rewarding; the ability to push past the prison of everyday fears is incredibly refreshing. Life is only as complicated as we make it, and actively reframing our perspectives to focus on positivity reduces stress and encourages a more appreciative way of life.

Home Alone

In this 1990 debut of the Home Alone series, Macaulay Culkin plays ‘Kevin’, a young boy who gets left behind by his large family, finding himself literally ‘home alone’ during Christmas. Upon realising that burglars are threatening to break in, he devises a series of plans and booby traps to overpower the antagonists. This movie exhibits how independence, improvisation and intellectual agility is victorious in the battle of ‘brains’ and ‘brawn’. There are surprising life lessons to be learned through observing Kevin’s approaches. Kevin tackling a frightening experience of home invasion in a comedically innocent manner, taught me that approaching life as a puzzle which has a logical solution is very practical. Taking steps back to find alternative ways to resolve a seemingly irresolvable issue is the key to overcoming trials. Oftentimes in adulthood, the complications of responsibilities can be all consuming, but finding ways to simply solve them by using creativity and logic is valuable.

The nightmare before christmas

Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas, is an unconventional gothic take on the typical Christmas movie. The style of stop-motion animation is hauntingly beautiful and strikingly memorable. Burton uses his signature mysterious aesthetic and obscure tone to narrate the tale of ‘Jack Skellington’. The story touches on issues that result from the merging of worlds and identities, as the characters explore different themed environments. The sense of self is questioned and the theme of how society impacts identity is prevalent. It shows the significance of appreciating diversity with an open perspective. The importance in being free of spirit and of mind. There is beauty and love to be found in the details of various cultures, and appreciation and understanding are enriching values.

The princess switch

Hight School Musical star, Vanessa Hudgens, plays the protagonist in this 2018 American Christmas rom-com twist on the ‘Princess/Pauper’ trope. A Duchess and a woman from Chicago exchange lives and romantic destinies. Despite it being a cheesy rom-com, the breaking of elitist boundaries imposed by hierarchal structures redefines love and happiness. Money, power and fame are not important factors when it comes to love. Instead, love can be simple and humble. Social status does not ensure a better chance at romance, ordinary characters are not deprived of experiencing joy, and being ‘average’ does not equate having a boring, unfulfilled life. Satisfaction is not attributed to one’s social position in life – the grass is not always greener on the other side. Life brings challenges universally, but adventuring to discover joy within oneself is a simple way of finding true happiness. Equally, love can be a moment of fairy-tale like fantasy, where dreams are a fuel for hope. Happy endings can become reality and wishes can come true. Perhaps the secret is to hold on to that spark of joyful light portrayed in magical universes.

The magic of Christmas to me is as real as you make it to be.

Karissa Sweetland-Laube is a member at Her campus as part of the king’s college London (KCL) chapter, responsible for writing under the Life segment. Karissa is undertaking her first year at Kings studying English and French BA. She has acquired the academic interest of literature notably, studying the ways in which the relationship between people is intrinsically bounded by the ties of Literature. After her year abroad she hopes to do a conversion course to Law to fulfil the dream of embarking on her journey in the legal field. Being bilingual, she expresses an immense Love for Languages, culture and society and likes to analyse the nuances interchanged in writing, speech and general communication, on a global level in academic or aesthetic spheres. In other words, Karissa loves talking and writing about anything and everything! (often at the detriment of disrupting silence, by an incessant stream of conversation usually involving her favourite shows and films) In her free time she enjoys shopping extensively, reading, practicing bass guitar and socialising with friends. Most recently she has been pre-occupied by getting up to date with ‘One Piece’. Karissa is always down to meet new people and embark on new adventures even if that means stepping out of her comfort zone. Essentially she loves fun and sharing happiness!