This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

Oxford is just an hour and a half away by train from London – making it one of the perfect places to spend the day at if you want to get away from the hustle and bustle of London.

It is a place engraved with immense amounts of history and beautiful historic architecture and home to one of the most famous universities in the world!

The best way to explore Oxford to the fullest would be by walking through the cobbled streets and discovering the meandering corridors and narrow corners which definitely give Oxford its charm. I’d start the day by going to the Vaults and Garden Café for breakfast. This café is tucked away in one of the narrow corridors looking onto the Radcliffe Camera. If you’re lucky with the weather, you could definitely sit outside and enjoy your breakfast and make the most of your surroundings.

After breakfast, I’d recommend taking a walk to see the colourful houses on Holywell Street. This quiet street is full of pastel-coloured houses making it the perfect spot for pictures! The next place to see is Christ Church– it is extremely picturesque and a famous location for all tourists as scenes from many different movies were shot in this college. After having a wander around, head towards the Covered Market– a local market selling different and unique things from fudge, cakes, fresh fruits to jewellery. The market is full of different places to grab a bite, my favourite being Sasi’s Thai. It serves authentic Thai food and is super affordable as well! It does get extremely busy during lunch hours, but it is worth the wait!

After 2 pm, most of the colleges are open for the public to view. It is great to walk around the college grounds and soak in the architecture and history from the surroundings. Bodleian Library was definitely on my list when I had gone visiting. It is one of the oldest libraries in England and is the universities main research library. It has the most stunning entrance made of gold stone! Ashmolean Museum is the University of Oxford’s museum of arts and archaeology and if you have time, definitely go check out its vast range of collection.

The Grand Café- this is one of the oldest coffee houses in England perfect for an afternoon tea or coffee. It is a quant electric blue café located at the centre of Oxford. They have some delicious cakes and tarts which you could definitely indulge in while watching the world go by! 

Finally, to get the best view of the entire city, climb up the tower of the University Church of St Mary the Virgin and enjoy the sunset before returning home!

Content Writer for Her Campus KCL! Interested in all things related to Politics, Sustainability and Food. Hoping to do my bit in bringing positivity into this world someday!
hahsghqs