Culture > News

The best podcasts to stay up-to-date even as a busy student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

With papers to write, exams to prepare and maybe a part-time job, keeping up with everything that happens in the world seems almost impossible. However, despite – or perhaps thanks to- the pace of today’s news there is a way also for us students to stay informed: podcasts! You can listen to them on your walk to class, while you are getting ready, warming up at the gym, or even cooking dinner. So here there is a list of the best podcasts to listen to and stay informed! 

Up First 

From National Public Radio (NPR), Up First is put out Monday through Friday and packs all the day’s most important stories and ideas into a fun and concise 10-minute show. Hosts Rachel Martin, David Greene, and Steve Inskeep keep the vibe positive. A great way to start off your day happy and knowledgeable! 

The Daily 

For those days when you have a little extra time, The New York Times’ podcast The Daily is a great option. Only 20-minutes long, one episode released Monday to Friday covering the most pressing news and including interviews with experts, reporters and witnesses. It is the perfect podcast to make you feel informed and ready to take on the world. 

Today Explained 

20 minutes long, each episode of Today Explained focuses on a specific topic relating to a current news story and breaks it down so you can understand all aspects of it. All killer and no filler. However, it is more of a tool for understanding a news story rather than hearing a rundown of the day’s top news. 

Brexitcast 

Keeping up with what’s going on with Brexit is a full-time job in itself. So, if you want to impress your friends with your knowledge on the issue then this 30ish minutes podcast is the best option to know what’s what. BBC reporters Laura Kuenssberg, Katya Adler, Adam Fleming and Chris Mason host 5 live Brexitcast to fill you in on all the gossip coming straight out of Westminster and Brussels. 

The High Low 

The hosts Dolly Alderton and Pandora Sykes told the Guardian that the podcast “is based on the founding message that life is best consumed with a mix of the trivial and the political”. It is quite long, ranging around the hour long, but if you have the time this podcast is amazing to cover everything from Trump to Drake to #MeToo. 

I am an Italian student of International Relations at KIngs College London. I am passionate about travelling and photography as they respectively allowed me to discover different cultures and capture unique moments. The curiosity for the heterogeneity of the world and the desire to understand how it work despite (or thanks) these differences spurred me to take a BA in IR. I am also keen on writing about different topics ( from politics to environmental issues to school life) and on cooking ( I love baking).
President of Her Campus KCL!