A Day in the Life of an English Literature Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

I have known that I wanted to major in English Literature at university, since high school. I have always loved reading and writing, which is why I applied to King’s College London to study English literature. I am currently halfway through the first semester of my first year at KCL as an English student, and let me tell you, it has been intense. I thought it would be interesting to describe to you a day in my life as a literary student in London, and maybe make some of you want to major in English Literature in the future.

I have been trying to stay organised and have a routine in order to not fall behind in clsses. I usually wake up around 7 AM and read for about an hour. Since I have lots of readings to do for my classes, I rarely find the time to read books that I want to, so I dedicate part of my morning to doing so (I know very cliché for a literary student). I then finally get up around 8 AM and get ready. I know that a lot of students literally take 10 minutes to get ready but I personally like to take my time. I make my bed, open my window, make and eat breakfast, do the dishes, take a hot shower, brush my teeth, get dressed, and put makeup on. It typically takes me about an hour and then around 8:50, I grab my bag which I prepared the night before with my computer, notebooks (I take handwritten notes), pencil case, and earphones. I fill my bottle of water, grab my keys, and leave my flat.

On my way to the library, I like to stop at Pret and get a hot drink (the Popcorn Bar hot chocolate is my favourite). I like to change my study spots, but I love going to the Maughan library, which is the most beautiful library I have ever seen. I usually get there around 9:15 AM and start studying right away. I try to work from 9:15 AM to 12:30 and do one module per study session. So, for example, I do my American Literature lecture and the readings. After studying for a few hours, it is typically time for me to go to my seminar. After my seminar is done, I let myself have a lunch break. I usually have my lunch packed, so I like to eat outside in front of the library on one of the benches. I give myself half an hour to eat and then dedicate another half an hour to watch an episode of Young Sheldon, which I have been obsessed with lately. After my break, I work for a few more hours, from 2:30 PM to 4 PM, doing either assignments or a lecture from another module.

At 4 PM, I stop studying, pack my things and leave the library. Lately, the sun has been set pretty early, so when I get out of the library to go home, it is already dark outside. Because of this, I like to walk back through Somerset House which is lit up and decorated for Christmas. When I get back home, it is usually around 4:30 PM, so I eat a little snack, make myself some hot chocolate and grab the book I was reading in the morning. I end up reading for the rest of the evening, and then I make dinner around 7 PM and eat with my flatmates before going to sleep around 10:30 PM.

Flore Boitel is a writer at Her Campus at the King's College London (KCL) chapter. She writes for the Life section of the chapter but also writes for Entertainment whenever she is able to. She is a French student, who moved to London for her studies. Flore is completing her final year at KCL, studying towards a BA English degree. Last year she was the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus KCL and oversaw all the articles that were published for that 2022-2023 academic year. She is also a student ambassador at KCL and part of the cheerleading team. Beyond Her Campus, Flore's interests include literature, cheerleading, music (R&B), drinking hot chocolate while watching Gilmore Girls, and going on runs around London. She is also an adept of travelling and was able to study abroad at the University of Pennsylvania, and lived in 5 different countries.