jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Books I Want to Read this Autumn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

It’s official. Autumn is here. The rain is falling, the temperature is dropping, the leaves are changing. It’s time to curl up in bed with a good book and a hot cup of tea… here are some books I can’t wait to get my hands on this autumn:

1) The Rules Do Not Apply – Ariel Levy

AUTOBIOGRAPHY / MEMOIR | £7.00

Ariel Levy documents the journey of love, loss and finding oneself. The memoir captures the essence of dealing with change, sticking to and sometimes adapting one’s truth and manoeuvring the shifting movements of time and culture.

“Levy’s wise and poignant memoir is the voice of a new generation of women, full of grit, pathos, truth, and inspiration. Being in her presence is energizing and ennobling. Reading her deep little book is inspiring.”—San Francisco Book Review

2) The Colour of Bee Larkham’s Murder – Sarah J. Harris  

MYSTERY / FICTION | £11.30

Jasper has synaesthesia. He can see sounds in a shock of colour that no one else can see, but one day, he discovers a new colour – the colour of murder. His neighbour Bee Larkham is missing. Jasper has the screams and the knife all mixed up in his head and there seems to be something else he can’t quite remember… What happened to Bee? Why hasn’t she returned yet?

3) Dear Evan Hansen (the novel) – Val Emmich, Justin Paul, Steven Levenson, Benj Pasek

FICTION | £9.30

Yep, you read that right. The masterminds behind the Broadway hit Dear Evan Hansen have translated the troubled conscience of Evan from the stage to page so you can relive all the emotions all over again in the comfort of your own home.

Evan Hansen is invisible at high school. When a letter that was never meant to be read is discovered, a misunderstanding arises and Evan is given the chance to finally fit in and belong. All he has to do is keep up the small lie that the late Connor Murphy is his best friend to the Murphy family, his mum and everyone else who knows him.

4) The Next Person You Meet in Heaven – Mitch Albom  

FICTION | £10.50

We all know Albom’s hit from fifteen years ago, The Five People You Meet in Heaven, telling the poignant story of Eddie, a war veteran-turned-amusement park mechanic who dies saving the life of a young girl named Annie. His journey to the afterlife teaches him that every life matters. In Albom’s sequel, we get reacquainted with Annie and her story after Eddie’s sacrifice.   

5) Everything I Know About Love – Dolly Alderton

AUTOBIOGRAPHY / MEMOIR | £7.99

An award-winning journalist and former Sunday Times dating columnist, Dolly Alderton has more or less seen everything. In Everything I Know About Love, Alderton comically recalls the ups and downs of growing up into a (somewhat) functioning adult including friendships, bad dates, falling in love and getting dumped just to name a few.

“This is the book we will thrust into our friends’ hands, the book that will help heal a broken heart. She feels like a best friend and your older sister all rolled into one and her pages wrap around you like a warm hug” – Evening Standard

6) Killing Commendatore – Haruki Murakami

FICTION | £15.99

From the best-selling and internationally esteemed author of Norwegian Wood and 1Q84, a new epic literary fiction is born. The novel follows the tale of a newly divorced portrait painter in Tokyo who finds himself in the mountain cabin of a famous artist, Tomohiko Amada. After discovering a strange painting in the attic, he triggers the opening of a chain of strange circumstances. In order to close it, he must complete a journey that involves a whole host of mysterious events.

“With phenomenal energy and verve… What makes [Murakami’s] voice so distinctive, and so captivating, is the mix of precise observation, clarity and deadpan humour… Murakami is a master storyteller and he knows how to keep us hooked” – Sunday Times

Let us know your thoughts if you read any!

Avid napper and English student at King's College London that procrastinates from writing by - well, writing. South London native.
King's College London English student and suitably obsessed with reading to match. A city girl passionate about LGBTQ+ and women's rights, determined to leave the world better than she found it.