College Women Freeze Eggs
College Women Freeze Eggs
Molly Longest / Her Campus
Life > Experiences

5 SIGNS YOUR STOMACH ISSUES MIGHT NOT BE A STOMACH ISSUE

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

I went to the doctors multiple times over the span of a year or two, complaining of severe stomach bloating and what felt like lower stomach pain. Without knowing that the symptoms were connected, I was also suffering from extreme water retention, unwanted hair growth, and acne.

Having looked back on my call log history, I made 137 calls to the GP office over this time. I was repeatedly dismissed and told to go to a walk-in centre or A & E. From going to A & E, where I waited for 3 hours to be seen, I left having been told my stomach ‘felt fine’ and that I must have IBS after an inspection where my stomach was prodded by a nurse.

I tried several diets and read all kinds of books about improving gut health and IBS without much luck. Only when I pushed for further medical checks and an ultrasound was it discovered that my symptoms were the result of a completely different chronic condition, PCOS.

Here are a couple of things to look out for if you’ve not been feeling yourself. Perhaps your periods aren’t right and your stomach has been giving you a few issues that could be a reason to approach your GP to ask about PCOS.

weight gain

PCOS causes your body to be resistant to insulin, causing your pancreas to make more of the hormone. Extra insulin promotes fat storage and increases hunger, therefore having an impact on weight gain.

irregular or no periods

Your periods could be non-existent or experienced rarely. In some shape or form, you may notice an inconsistency with them that comes with PCOS due to an imbalance of hormones that affects the functionality of your ovaries.

unwanted hair growth

High levels of the hormone androgen may result in excess facial and body hair, while the hair on your head may be noticeably thinner.

lower stomach pain

The pain is thought to originate from the presence of ovarian cysts. I would personally say that it feels like a dull or sharp stabbing sensation or even an ache that is similar to the feeling of having overeaten; being extremely full.

acne

The same hormones that cause unwanted hair growth to stimulate the production of oil in the skin, increasing the possibility of acne breaking out in any area of the body.

More information on PCOS can be found on the NHS website where these symptoms are also listed.

Content writer covering topics from Lifestyle, Wellness, Pop culture & Relationships. 2nd Year student at Kings’ College London studying English. Found in her room blasting music while lost in Pinterest.