A Broke Student’s Guide to Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Juniata chapter.

Celebrating Valentine’s Day with your significant other, potential lover, or even your friends can be difficult while living on a campus in a remote area like Juniata. Here are some easy DIY and tips to some cheap and cute gifts and dates!

1. Handmade Cards

Grab a pair of scissors; it’s arts & crafts time! Cut out some cute pink, red, or even white hearts and glue them onto a piece of paper. Fold the paper and voila! A simple and cheap Valentine’s Day card. Who needs Hallmark?

2. Bake Something Sweet

Head down to Weis or Walmart and purchase one of these easy-to-make cake mixes! With kitchens in most residence halls, get a bunch of friends together and bake a cake your significant other will not forget (and, hey, they don’t need to know it came from a box)!

3. Scavenger Hunt Anyone?

Relive your childhood and play a game of romantic scavenger hunt! Leave little heart-shaped clues around your room, residence hall, or even your campus for your significant other and friends to find. And as for the prize…well, you can decide that one on your own.

4. Create a Romantic Space in your Room

Stay warm indoors by creating a fort with some sheets and Christmas lights. A sweet canopy with romantic lights creates an atmosphere that is comfy and sweet for any couple to kick-back and relax. Pop in a DVD or find a romantic comedy on Netflix to watch while cuddling in your secret fort.

5. Speaking of Movies…

This Valentine’s Day, Fifty Shades of Grey is being released. Take your significant other or have a girls-night-out and head to the theaters to watch this thrilling erotic movie. Not into these kids of movies? That’s fine too. The SpongeBob Squarepants Movie: Sponge Out of Water will be playing this weekend as well. Take your pick!