This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Juniata chapter.

Tis the season for starting that new internship, Valentine’s Day dates, first presentations of the semester, crazy weather and the dreaded “static-y” hair. We’ve all been there…standing in front of the mirror trying to beautify ourselves, but our hair has other plans. With limited time and limited patience, those luscious locks are then concealed in a tightly wound updo. Luckily, I have compiled a list of 5 simple solutions you can take to prevent “static-y” hair from ruining your plans for your hair.

Photo Source: www.bedhead.com

1. Use Conditioner

Due to the dry weather, your hair becomes stripped of its natural oils. To replenish, use a little bit more conditioner than you would generally use in the warmer months. Also, consider using a leave-in conditioner as well. Look for conditioners with proteins, collagens, and amino acids, which work to strengthen your hair in the wintertime.

2. Use an Ionic Hair Dryer

To neutralize the electric charge in your hair, it is suggested to use an ionic hair dryer. These dryers lock in moisture and nutrients, and they also reduce the time it takes to dry your hair! It’s a win-win.

3. Use a Dryer Sheet

Photo Source: www.fashionlady.in

You may be familiar with this little trick, but it truly does work wonders. This is my favorite technique for preventing “static-y” hair because it’s so simple! When you see that static is building up in your hair, grab a dryer sheet and run it down your hair starting from your scalp and moving downwards.

4. Do Not Use a Plastic Brush or Comb

Plastic increases the electrical charge in your hair, so try to use brushes or combs that are made from other materials, such as nylon or horsehair. Additionally, you can spray hairspray onto your brush or comb before using it in your hair to neutralize the electric charges.

5. Change Your Wardrobe

Clothing made from synthetic fibers have the potential to be very “static-y,” so try to wear clothes made from cotton, wool, or other materials that are not made from synthetic fibers. Also, rubber is a high conductor of electricity, so try to avoid wearing rubber-soled shoes as much as possible.

Juniata Campus Correspondant.