etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Things You Plan On Doing Over Spring Break, But Probably Won’t

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Juniata chapter.

Spring Break is the silver lining that college students look forward to at the midst of their second semester, which tends to be the busiest time of the academic year. In anticipation of this weeklong extravaganza, which in some cases it most certainly could be, students prepare to catch up on everything they have been missing out on, right? Well maybe not so much. Here is a list of the top 5 things you plan on doing over Spring Break, but probably won’t.

One: Read a novel. Yes, we all say that we’re finally going to get around to reading that book everyone has been talking about, but you’ve just been way too busy to even start it. Spring Break looks like a valid time to do so! However, let’s be real, after coming home from weeks at college the last thing you’re going to want to do is pick up a book. Sure there is the exception of those book fanatics who read all the time, but try not to put too much pressure on yourself to finish a book when Spring Break is a time to take it easy.

Two: See all your old friends from high school. Coming home is always refreshing because it gives us a chance to catch up with those we haven’t seen while away at college, which tends to mostly include the people you were close with in high school. It is always a treat to be reunited with old friends, but the actuality of you meeting up with them is pretty slim. It is always exciting to plan for something like that, however Spring Break is not very long and your parents certainly don’t want you leaving at every chance you get. So, maybe it’s good to see a few really good friends while still setting time aside for family. 

Three: Buy a spring wardrobe. As the weather starts getting warmer, the winter clothes begin to shed and there is an abundance of sundresses and flip-flops that soon emerge around campus. While away at college, you aren’t really given the opportunity to go on a full-fledged shopping trip, so instead you plan for one over Spring Break to get a whole new spring wardrobe. But, what college student really has the money for that? Although, you might be able to finagle a few pieces of spring and summer clothing out of your parents—who knows!

Four: Going on a lavish, all-inclusive trip to Cancun with your friends. It’s good to dream, isn’t it? Every year students anticipate Spring Break with the utmost ambition. Cancun? Las Vegas? Miami? These are the hot spots for spring breakers and a college student’s dream to visit, but there are just two major red flags here. Firstly, who can really afford this in college? And secondly, whose parents are going to be comfortable them taking off to Mexico for the week? If you answered yes to both of these questions, then bravo! But, we just have to keep it real and plan within our means.

Five: Work ahead in your classes. This one’s the real zinger! I am even guilty of it myself. Those who have big plans to work ahead in your classes so that the second half of your semester is much easier should just give it up now. Not to sound too overtly discouraging, but who really is going to crack a textbook open during Spring Break? That should be illegal! Enjoy the time you have with your family and the time you have to yourself. It will be well worth it in the end.