This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

The annual 5K Run/Walk for Autism is a chance for members of the JMU and Harrisonburg community to support a great cause and listen to speakers personally affected by autism.  This year, the 5K had special meaning to JMU senior, Yvette Blackwell.

Yvette, this year’s featured speaker, shared how autism has affected her personally at the race presented by Gamma Sigma Sigma, Fiji, and Circle K with the Shenandoah Valley Autism Partnership this past Saturday, April 16, at Eastern Mennonite University.

HC JMU: How did you feel when you found out you were the speaker at this year’s autism 5K?
I was really excited about it!  Carla had asked me if I wanted to speak my sophomore year but I didn’t follow through until this year. I feel like I’m ready to tell my story and I couldn’t be more excited/nervous about it.

HC JMU:How has autism affected you?
For me personally, it’s just a normal part of my life. I really couldn’t tell ya what it would be like otherwise! While growing up though, it was rough for my parents and I. People would see me as some spoiled brat when I was simply being overwhelmed by my senses. Nevertheless, I’ve learned that wearing a smile makes the struggles not seem so bad anymore.

HC JMU: How has autism affected you at JMU?
At this point in my life, autism isn’t affecting me as much as it used to. There are a few things here and there that mark me as different but otherwise I’m just like any other student here. JMU in general is a very welcoming community and I’ve definitely felt that presence during my time here. I see now that autism affects every nook and cranny of the U.S, including our own Shenandoah Valley.

HC JMU: What are some ways that you have overcome your struggle?
When I was younger I did a lot of one-on-one work with my mom who researched my condition. We celebrated the little victories in my life, like me saying my first word and when I got to go to a normal kindergarten class. I’ve also had help through various counselors and speech therapists so that I’d become more accustomed in today’s busy world. After kindergarten, my autism was pretty much unnoticeable and I excelled past anyone’s expectations. The doctors said there was a good chance I’d never get past a special Ed class, yet I graduated high school with a 3.8 GPA and got into every school I applied to. And now I’m ready to graduate from JMU in May with a Biology degree. It’s fun to prove people wrong!

HC JMU: What activities are you involved in at JMU?
During my freshman and sophomore year I was in the Marching Royal Dukes. Then spring semester sophomore year I joined Gamma Sigma Sigma service sorority. I was a FrOG my junior year and I’ve worked with CHOICES since freshman year. Most recently, I participated in my first Alternative Spring Break trip to San Diego, California.

HC JMU: What are your plans for after graduation?
I don’t have anything set in stone yet, but I have been applying to various jobs and internships working in the forensics field. I’m looking at a FBI internship at the moment, which will hopefully get my foot in the door. After a year of working and interning I plan on working on my master’s degree in forensic science.

HC JMU: What advice would you give someone who is dealing with autism or who knows someone with autism?
Get yourself educated about autism.  It keeps you in the loop of things, and you can pass on what you learn to others who may not realize what autism truly entails. Even if you don’t fully understand autism, just being caring and understanding to these individuals is better than not doing anything.

One last bit: Don’t forget to smile!

Sarah Robertson is a senior at James Madison University, with a major in Writing and Rhetoric and minor in Creative Writing. She is involved in the Public Relations Student Society of America, Society for Technical Communicators, as well as Sigma Kappa sorority where she serves as a member on the Judicial Board. At JMU, she is also a member on the e-Vision editorial board. She is from a small town in the Northern Neck of Virginia where she can't get enough of the hidden beaches and spectacular sunsets it has to offer. Sarah is currently interning in New York City at a radio network, Dial-Global, where she hopes to gain experience in broadcasting. In her spare time, Sarah enjoys reading fashion magazines cover-to-cover, learning how to cook without smoking out a house, as well as finding gems in thrift stores. She takes pleasure in writing and blogging while listening to great music including two of her favorites: John Butler Trio and Phoenix. After college, Sarah plans to attend journalism school to pursue a career in broadcast journalism and she hopes to eventally work for Vanity Fair.