Women to Look Forward to in 2013

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Resolutions have been made, goals are set, and you’re already thinking about how to cross the next thing off your to-do list. Though the Spice Girls put a new spin on Girl Power back in 1996, history proves that you can’t stop a woman with a dream and ambition. And as we settle into the new year, we can already tell who is going to dominate and make 2013 their year. Here are a few leading ladies that are ready to make their mark the next 12 months.

1. Beyoncé – Who runs the world?  Mrs. Knowles-Carter will undoubtedly continue her reign this year. With 16 Grammys under her belt and over 100 million albums sold, she refuses to stop there. The Queen of the R&B and pop world will start her year off in a much anticipated Super Bowl half-time performance. She’s also been in the studio, and plans to drop a brand-new album this year. If that’s not enough Beyoncé for you, she recently became a partner of Pepsi, signing a $50 million deal! Get ready everyone, the Queen B is back. 
  1. Tina Fey & Amy Poehler – This fierce comedy duo won the hearts of Saturday Night Live fans and quickly made a name for themselves in the world of entertainment. Fey and Poehler’s careers took off with successes such as “Mean Girls,” Tina Fey’s show “30 Rock,” and Amy Poehler’s show “Parks & Recreation.” Fans of both women were ecstatic to know they’d signed on to joint-host the 70th annual Golden Globe Awards, which will be airing on January 13. Something tells me that this will only be the first of many laughs we get from these two in 2013.
  1. Issa Rae – The next lady on our list might not be well-known yet, but that will be changing soon. Issa Rae made a name for herself in the online world when she wrote and produced her hilarious award-winning web series, “The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl.” Shonda Rhimes, the creator of fan favorites “Grey’s Anatomy,” “Private Practice” and “Scandal,” recently sold a new comedy series to ABC which will be produced by Ms. Rae! This Hollywood newcomer might be new to the game, but doesn’t seem to be leaving it anytime soon.
  1. Rebel Wilson – “Pitch Perfect,” “Bridesmaids,” “What To Expect When You’re Expecting”—Rebel Wilson has been killing it the past two years, and 2013 will be no different for her. This funny girl was named one of Variety magazine’s ‘Top Ten Comics to Watch in 2011,” and she proved them right. She continues to be hilarious and bold in Chris Colfer’s “Struck by Lightning,” and will also host the 2013 MTV Movie Awards.
  1. YOU – That’s right! Last on the list, but certainly not least, is you. This will be your year. JMU has as campus full of inspiring and dedicated young women who are on their way to changing the world. This semester is what you make of it, so don’t let anything get in your way. Be confident, be strong and know that you can make it through anything. Just remember, the best is yet to come, collegiettes. Charge into spring semester classes with your head held high!

Chantal Johnson is a senior at James Madison University, studying Media Arts and Design with a concentration in Digital Video and Cinema. Aside from Her Campus JMU, she is involved with University Program Board. Chantal loves hanging out with her friends, listening to her "feel good" playlist on her iPod, or just curling up with a really good book in her spare time. Chantal loves her hometown, Roanoke,Virginia, but can't wait to graduate and explore her opportunities around the world! Within the next 10 years, Chantal's dream job would be becoming "the next Shonda Rhimes"!