This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Influencers and bloggers have taken over the social media world. If you love an aesthetic feed, writing, connecting with others, or just think it seems fun then you need to try it. It is easy and can lead to endless possibilities. Not convinced yet? Well maybe these six reasons will get you wanting to start that blog. 

You’ll be able to use it as a portfolio.

Need to show your artwork? Trying to land photography jobs? Maybe you are really good at making cartoons  and want to apply to work at Disney. Whatever the case may be you’ll need to show your work. Creating a space where you can show the world who you are is amazing. Being able to put it on your resume to direct employers is double the amazing.

You can connect with others with similar interests.

Often times you can feel alone if none of your friends have similar interests. There’s no one to talk to or geek out about your hobby with. If you look to the internet you can easily gain dozens of friends that will always be down to talk. This can be made easy by creating a blog space and exploring other blogs. 

You’ll be able to learn computer skills.

This is so important. Our society will never stray away from technology so we have to stay with the times. Learning computer skills is key to the professional world and being able to design websites will definitely make you stick out to employers. Little details like that make all the difference to getting hired. 

You can manage your time better.

Allotting time and scheduling things to do make life a lot easier. Setting time aside to work on your hobbies will reduce stress and can encourage you to get other tasks finished quickly. You will also have to schedule out your content, create time to create, and manage social media if you choose to go down that route. 

You get to test your creativity.

This is definitely one of the best, but most challenging reasons to start your own blog. It’ll be so amazing to go outside of your comfort zone. While it will be so rewarding, you’ll also frustrate yourself constantly. I often refer to it as “growing pains.” Going outside of the box will make you better at what you do, but it definitely won’t be an easy task. You have to work on it and you’ll end up discovering your hobby on a deeper level. 

You gain a hobby for life.

Once it’s on the internet it’s there forever. With that said, you might as well keep going with it! The internet will never go away, so take advantage of it. Use it to further develop your career or to find your interests. It allowed me to figure out who I am and who I want to be. Creating a space online for yourself will give you endless possibilities and all the time in the world to develop it into what you want it to be. 

Creating and designing a blog isn’t the easiest thing to do, but it is worth every second. Make that space yours and leave your mark. Show the world who you really are and own it. It’s time to show off and develop something that truly represents who you are. Go for it, create a website, and continue to learn about yourself and what you love. 

Kate is majoring in writing, rhetoric, and technical communication and minoring in entrepreneurship. You can usually find her at Starbucks and listening to true crime podcasts.
School of Media Arts and Design student with a concentration in Interactive Design. Campus Correspondent for the JMU chapter of Her Campus, Campus Coordinator for Rent the Runway on Campus, and Social Media Marketing Intern for Auntie Anne's.