Why You Should Live On-Campus Sophomore Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

If you’re a freshman here at JMU, you have the option of living on or off campus during your sophomore year. Getting an apartment with all your new friends may sound exciting and tempting, but I have some reasons why I think living on campus for another year is a great idea.

1. Perks of living on campus

If you live in a dorm again your sophomore year, you can continue to get all the perks that this lovely campus has to offer. All of the dining facilities are within walking distance, and that’s a positive when the Princeton Review ranked JMU #2 for best campus food in 2013.  You can also access UREC whenever you want, as well as both of the libraries. It’s easier to attend meetings, teacher’s office hours, and awesome events like Late Night Breakfast and Grafton movies when you live on campus.

2. You don’t have to deal with parking/driving to campus

This benefit goes hand in hand with the perks of living on campus. Not only is everything in walking distance, but you also don’t have to deal with driving to campus and fighting your fellow Dukes for a parking spot. If you live in an apartment and you decide you want to spend your evening in the library or hit the gym for an hour, you have to drive over to campus, search for a spot, walk to the gym or library, then when you’re finished walk back to your car and drive back home. This process is so much simpler when you live on campus.

3. Other sophomores living on campus will be less crazy than your freshmen dorm-mates

Sophomore dorms have a much different environment than freshmen dorms. They’re way more relaxed and people are more respectful of each other and the dorm itself. All of the crazy partyers who were constantly getting strikes, ripping down flyers, and trashing the kitchen have moved off campus. You’ve all experienced a psycho roommate or obnoxious hall mates, and none of you want to go through that again. Your sophomore RA’s aren’t as strict or intense as your freshmen RA’s either. They don’t have to worry about freshman shenanigans, and you’ve already learned what not to do to get into trouble, which means a better living environment for everyone.

Just consider this: you will probably live in an apartment for plenty of years to come after college. You’re only here once, so I would take advantage of what JMU’s incredible campus has to offer you!