This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

The age-old question: What is your favorite animal? 

Whenever I am asked this question it does not take me long to answer. It has been a raccoon for as long as I can remember, and I do not see it changing anytime soon. 

Some may think this is a strange animal to choose as your favorite, as some (ignorant) people only associate these critters with trash and rabies. But these creatures are very misunderstood. Raccoons are very intelligent and cleanly animals. 

Lots of raccoons end up having to be rehabilitated and domesticated due to many factors, especially due to destruction of their habitat. Rehabilitated raccoons are very friendly and loving, while still holding onto their feisty attitude. This casts out the concept that all raccoons are these rabid rodents, and that they are actually intelligent and loving animals. 

Don’t forget they are absolutely adorable. A cute mash-up of dog and cat, with thick squishy bodies and fluffy tails.

The reason I love raccoons so much is that I can relate to them so well. I have always felt a connection to them. From a young age, I have related to their nocturnal nature, and their love for food and taking naps. Cute but feisty, and always rocking a dark eyeshadow look. I proudly own more than 10 raccoon stuffed animals, and always try to expand my collection. 

They are an animal that’s just looking for a good time. This may give them the title of “the crackheads of the animal kingdom”, but they’re doing their own thing. 

Why not hang out in a dumpster? I bet you can find some cool stuff in there.

If you need any more convincing as to why you should love raccoons, I encourage you to look at these adorable gifs – proving these quirky creatures are supreme. 

Graduated the Math and Science High School at Clover Hill in 2018 Attends James Madison University, majoring in Media Arts and Design with a concentration in Digital Video and Cinema
School of Media Arts and Design student with a concentration in Interactive Design. Campus Correspondent for the JMU chapter of Her Campus, Campus Coordinator for Rent the Runway on Campus, and Social Media Marketing Intern for Auntie Anne's.