This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

If you’re anything like me, finding a movie to watch can be a lengthy process. Scrolling through all the possibilities on whatever streaming service you have can seem tedious. I’m here to help – next time you’re looking for a feel-good comedy, look no further than I Feel Pretty. Since the movie stars Amy Schumer, you know there will be laugh-out-loud moments. In this movie, humor is combined with an important life lesson: confidence is the key to success.

The plot of the movie is is pretty simple. A young, insecure woman suddenly wakes up believing in herself. When she looks in the mirror, she feels beautiful for the first time. The catch? Nothing about her appearance actually changed. She looks exactly the same as she always did. However, without giving away any spoilers, her newfound confidence in herself changes her life.

Simply feeling beautiful and feeling confident had the power to change her life for the better. This is a lesson that is all too applicable in real life. It is so easy to succumb to the voice of insecurity. For example, think back to the last time you applied for something. As you submitted the application, what type of thoughts ran through your head? I’m sure that there are more qualified people? Why would they pick me? They probably won’t pick me.

It is so important to change this narrative. Just as Amy Schumer does in the movie, believe in yourself and your abilities. Once you find confidence in the person you are, you’re more likely to try new things, go after your goals, and live the life that you always wanted to live.

So, I will end with two final comments. First and most important, find a way to uncover your own self-confidence. It sounds difficult, but start focusing on positive self-talk; compliment yourself and emphasize the things you love about yourself. Second, find some time to watch the movie I Feel Pretty. You won’t regret it.

Kate is an undergraduate student at JMU. She is a Writing, Rhetoric and Technical Communication major with minors in Spanish and Honors Interdisciplinary Studies. Kate loves to travel, read, and spend time with friends.
Contributor account for Her Campus at JMU.