Why I Won’t Be Watching the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

For years, the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show has always been incredibly popular. With almost-perfect models, extravagant lingerie and celebrity performers, what could possibly be wrong with it? In my opinion, this star-studded event has multiple issues that are rarely addressed in the media.

1. The show endorses the social norm that you must be thin (but not too thin), tall, young, curvy (in the right places) and above-average looking to be considered “beautiful.”

I remember seeing the show for the first time when I was in middle school. Watching the models and their sculpted bodies strut down the runway was not an exciting experience for me. It greatly lowered my self-esteem. As I grew up, I’ve gained more confidence in this area, but there’s always a nagging voice at the back of my mind when I feel good about my body that says “still not good enough.” The VSFS supports this belief — that the way I look isn’t socially acceptable.

These models are placed on a pedestal, and women are brainwashed into thinking that their bodies are unattractive and flawed. While these models are absolutely stunning (I am in no way saying their body types shouldn’t be embraced as well), the majority of women do not resemble them. Hopefully, a day will come when Victoria’s Secret acknowledges this.

2. There is practically no diversity in the show.

The Angel lineup for 2016 is — not surprisingly — made up mostly of white women. In its history, Victoria’s Secret has never been a racially diverse corporation. However, there are some small changes in the show’s lack of representation. On a positive note, there are three models wearing their Afro-textured hair naturally this year. However, in 2013, Chanel Iman, a very accomplished African American model who has been in countless runway shows and has appeared in Vogue multiple times, was turned away because Victoria’s secret already had “one of her kind.” Hopefully VS has made progress in regard to their racist behavior.

This year there is a “record number of Asian women in the VSFS,” which is seen as a big step for VS. How many you ask? Four Asian Angels. Out of 51 Angels total. People are celebrating this “achievement” in diversity, but I find it ridiculous. We shouldn’t acknowledge this as something VS should be rewarded for. Clearly, they have not evolved in any way regarding their perception of diversity.

3. The VSFS is more focused on publicity than actual talent.

Fresh faces, as well as some familiar ones, are in the show’s lineup this year. Angels who have been walking for years were asked not to come back for 2016. VS wanted to make more room for well-known models, such as Bella Hadid. It’s disappointing that Victoria’s Secret has started to center its brand based on publicity, adding “big-name” models to their list. While Bella Hadid, Gigi Hadid and Kendall Jenner are all somewhat qualified to walk in the show, there are plenty of other models that are a lot more experienced, and deserve a chance to participate in this show even though they aren’t necessarily “famous.”

Despite the multiple drawbacks of the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show, it can be entertaining to watch and fun to marvel at the oversized wings and ridiculously expensive lingerie. However, I will not be watching it this year. It’s hard for me to focus on the show when there are so many negative aspects surrounding it.

The 2016 show airs Monday, December 5 at 10 p.m. on CBS.

Rachel graduated from the Honors College at James Madison University in May 2017 and is pursuing a career in the media/PR industry. She majored in Media Arts & Design with a concentration in journalism and minored in Spanish and Creative Writing. She loves spending time with friends and family, traveling, and going to the beach.