bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Why I’m Mapping Out my New Year’s Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

First, tis the season. I know Thanksgiving is around the corner, but I feel like the earlier you start to indulge in the spirit, the more you can find enjoyment in the season. So, blast some Christmas music and get your Starbucks Holiday drinks. (They’ve been out for like three days and I’ve already had two) but that is not what this is about.

I know how early it is, most of us don’t even think about New Year’s until post-Christmas. Although, it may be my favorite time of the year. It may not be erasing the past and new beginnings for everyone, but for me, I try to make it this way.

My sophomore year of High School, I had a list of dietary restrictions because I was on a journey to lose weight for a sport. Let me tell you, I eat nothing but junk food. I’m an adult and I don’t think I’ve had a vegetable that isn’t lettuce since I got to college. But during this time in my life, I found myself very determined to prove it to myself that I could compete at the weight level. So, I cut all fatty sugars out of my diet. No cinnamon rolls, no ice cream, no soda etc. Obviously, since that was a big part of my diet I lost weight, but what was different was how I felt. I still craved sugar, but I had more energy most days and I felt less weighed down and groggy by what I ate.

I kind of took a step back and examined what I overindulged in, and I realized how much soda I was drinking. Out of everything I took out of my diet, I truly craved soda when I had given up sugars. So, I was like heck yeah, I can give up soda. Not just soda, but everything carbonated/fermented. Considering I either drank that or water, I was struggling. I had to buy a bunch of new juices and things to distract me. Then, I went on vacation and was like “I don’t think it’s changed much. I’m on vacation. I’ll treat myself to a Shirley temple, heck yeah.” Let me tell you sick I felt. That was a whole no, and a real eye-opener. I felt icky and I was bloated, and I felt awful. So, my brain was like “Oh god, what else have I not been listening to my body about??”

Now the journey is as planned:

Year one: Eliminate carbonated drinks

Year two: Vegetarian

Year three: Quit Caffeine (we’ll see how that works out)

Year four: create better sleeping practices

Trust me when I say I get the stigma that “Resolutions never work”. My father told me every day that I was going to fail. We’re on month eleven, DAD, thanks!

This isn’t just about ways to look your best. I find that I’m a creature of habit, much like everyone else I know. So, breaking these bad habits, whether it’s eating something you know makes you feel awful, or just letting that one person who isn’t productive in your life again. I find that letting this “new year” be your switch, can be helpful. This doesn’t mean, cut this thing out of your life. Maybe it’s like read three more books than you did last year. Even “Don’t miss a single class this semester.” Start a path to what you think could be the ideal you.

Making a path for yourself helps you stay true to your goal, and let people know your path by making each year about bettering yourself. It has more effects on your life than you think. Be kind to yourself, a New Year’s resolution doesn’t work for everyone, but If you feel you need a change, it can be a good kick in the right direction.

I'm an English and psychology major with a minor in Pre-law. Class of 2022 at James Madison University. I love dogs, and avocados and ice coffees. Catch me dancing alone in my room or reorganizing things for the fun of it!