Why Every Girl Needs a Good Group of Guy Friends in Her Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

When I started college I didn’t realize that 3 years later I would have a solid group of guys in my life who would be there through everything. Back then I didn’t even know how much I would need that, but through countless situations and memories, I wouldn’t wish anything to be any different. I’m grateful for all that they’ve given me. There are a few reasons why I wish every girl the blessing of having a few close guy friends in her life.

They tell you how it is.

I don’t know about your friends, but mine don’t typically sugar coat things. These four guys have been in my life for years now. Long enough to know the things that overwhelm me and the situations in my life that tend to be reoccurring trends. When I come to them with a problem, half the time it’s a miracle to hold their attention long enough to even explain everything before getting a very blunt answer. Now, this may be a negative thing to some, but I hold it as a positive. A lot of people in my life tend to sugarcoat things which are sometimes what I need, but I know that when I go to these guys for help and genuine advice, they will tell me exactly how it is, even if it isn’t what I want to hear.

They’re there for you when you do need comforting.

They can be sassy as well as blunt, but there comes a point in different situations where I have become completely overwhelmed and the brutal honesty from them doesn’t work anymore. I can recall specific instances I went over just to hang out and it turned into an evening of me crying on the couch because some guy broke my heart. They are there as my shoulder to cry on (quite literally). There are times when I’ve been lonely and they’ve gone out of their way to invite me to dinner or let me crash on their couch so we can watch movies late at night because they know I need the company. Sometimes they like to pretend to be passive but when it comes down to it, they are around when I need it most.

They encourage you to get back on the horse.

Through many complicated situations involving friendships and romantic relationships, I have been able to rely on my guy friends for support. When I have trouble with gal-pals, they have talked me through different situations. When I’m struggling with my relationships or trying to understand the inner-workings of a guys mind (lets be honest, it can be tricky) they are able to provide some clarity and perspective that I might not initially see. Having close guys around helps you to understand the way guys work. That in itself is a benefit! Don’t forget those hero guy friends who act as a wingman and help you build the confidence to talk to new people.

They are like the big brothers you never had.

From bringing me dinner when I’ve been sick to helping me with homework and different projects, the guys I’ve been lucky to spend the last few years getting closer to have become like brothers to me. If you have close guy friends you know what I mean. Nothing is off limits and boundaries barely exist. I’ve spent the last two years basically living at their apartment and spending a good majority of my free time around them. What’s mine is yours (Except the Dr. Pepper. I’ve learned that’s a no go).

While you will sometimes fight like siblings (and yes it may be over petty things) you ultimately have each other’s best interest in mind, even when you like to pretend like you don’t care about each other. I can specifically remember a time after my recruitment interview freshman year, that I had what felt like hundreds of bobby pins in product-filled knotted hair. One of my guy friends spent half an hour with me helping to pluck each one out while my dramatic self loudly complained about the pain. If that’s not true friendship, I don’t know what is!

They are built in bodyguards.

Freshman year I was at a party with some girlfriends and a very drunk guy came up and starting talking to me. He wouldn’t leave me alone and every time I started to leave he’d block my path. Out of absolutely nowhere, one of my guy friends (who I didn’t even know was at the same party) walks up to him and stands next to me with his arms crossed and a straight face. He talks the situation out until we’re all clear. Needless to say, I was able to leave at that point. When i’d spend late evenings at their building sophomore year with our other girlfriends, they’d always offer to walk us home at night to make sure we got in safely. What girl doesn’t want her closest friends to stand up for her in complicated or sometimes uncomfortable situations. I was grateful to always have that with them.

They are around to make fun memories.

As much as my guys act like I’m physically dragging them out of the apartment to do stuff together, we eventually have all these stories we are all grateful to look back on. Building the tallest snowman I’ve ever seen all together, football games, camping on the quad, birthday dinners, trying (and failing) to learn how to ski. These are all core memories of college that I’ll always hold onto! I’m grateful to have been able to experience them with amazing friends.

They are like family.

At the end of the day, there are gonna be ups and downs like any friendships. But if you are lucky enough to be “one of the guys” and have a group of guy friends who will support you and stick up for you, they will remind you of how special you are and every now and then if you’re lucky they’ll tell you how much they care. But even if they are “too cool” to tell you, their actions will always let you know where their hearts are. They give you the hard advice that you don’t want to hear but need to and will comfort you in times of doubt. They’ll tease you like a brother and dance around with you like a best friend. They will become your family away from home and the ones you look to when you need help. Never lose them!

I am a Junior at James Madison University studying Media Arts & Design. I recently completed an internship with Walt Disney World Resorts in Orlando, FL and plan to pursue a full time position with the company post grad. I love reading, writing, photography and videography.
Rachel graduated from the Honors College at James Madison University in May 2017 and is pursuing a career in the media/PR industry. She majored in Media Arts & Design with a concentration in journalism and minored in Spanish and Creative Writing. She loves spending time with friends and family, traveling, and going to the beach.