Gossip Girl Blair Waldorf Shopping?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Gossip Girl Blair Waldorf Shopping?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
The CW

Why Blair Waldorf Still Reigns as Queen B in 2023

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

I have finally closed the chapter on my first Gossip Girl watch from start to finish, which has been on again and off again more times than Blair and Chuck (seriously, I started the show in middle school). As the credits began to roll on the show’s finale, I found myself thinking about how much one notable character has continued to influence fashion and be an aspirational figure for life today. Her name is none other than Blair Cornelia Waldorf, played by the iconic Leighton Meester. Blair is Upper East Side royalty. Her throne? The steps of the Met.

No one has more fire than Blair Waldorf. She is cunning, fierce and ruthless. Despite Blair’s picture-perfect and luxurious life on the Upper East Side bathed in velvet, designer brands and Audrey Hepburn, she never wanted to be a directionless, privileged New Yorker. Despite Chuck’s business success, she wanted her own successes as opposed to just being Mrs. Bass. Blair often prioritized herself which granted her opportunities to thrive. Blair even upheld the strong legacy of Eleanor Waldorf Designs (albeit took her time) and what was her most successful line? The one inspired by her old Constance uniform. Blair’s passion is enough motivation to inspire anyone.

Blair’s insecurities were incredibly well-nuanced. When having golden girl Serena van der Woodsen as your bestie, it’s difficult to feel as though her sunshine didn’t dull your sparkle. Despite Blair not having the average girl’s life (we can’t all have a Dorota, even though we all want to), her insecurities were relatable to the average girl. Her struggles with comparisons—especially with Serena—are something I know is a universal feeling. Blair always worked hard to achieve what she wanted, while Serena’s charisma granted her opportunities she’d never even sought after. Blair also struggled with self-image and would often worry about her perception and being well liked in spite of her front as a girl who couldn’t care less. At the end of the day, Blair needed a hug and some macarons.

Last, but not least, Blair was iconic. Her little quips to her minions (her quick wit was astonishing), style (headbands for days) and even her influence on NYU (scheming her way to the top, per usual) all create a bold, beautiful, and brilliant B. Her legacy can easily be summarized by the scene between Serena and Blair when Serena says, “Not everyone wants to be Blair Waldorf,” so Blair simply replies, “Not everyone can be.” No, not everyone can be, but girls sure try. 

You know you love B. 

Xoxo, Gossip Girl.

blair waldorf crown

Amanda is a freshman Writing and Rhetoric major with a Creative Writing minor at James Madison University. Amanda loves binge-watching "Sex and the City", drinking iced lattes, cuddling cats, reading romance and thriller novels, and listening to music (Taylor Swift, Gracie Abrams, and Phoebe Bridgers mostly). Ultimately, Amanda wishes to pursue a career involving writing, reading, editing, or publishing.