What Will JMU Graduates Miss Most?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

On May 4 at 10 a.m., James Madison University’s class of 2013 will graduate and begin a new and (hopefully exciting) chapter in their lives. They will join the work force, continue their education later in graduate school, or do both, and will begin a fresh start in the real world. Most are excited for the possible opportunity of getting a job that pays higher than minimum wage along with not having to wake up for an 8 a.m.

But what about what they are leaving behind? What are seniors going to miss about being a Duke? Will they miss taking naps in TDU? Playing Ultimate on the Quad? Being on Team Carrier or Team Rose?

WRTC major Lauren Fisher and Cort Collier are going to miss friendly vibes they receive from students. “The people on campus are so nice. I’m from the north, people aren’t as nice,” Lauren said. “I’m going to miss having people open the door for me,” Cort said.

WRTC major Michael Johnson and English major Ariel took the serious approach. “I’ll miss the teachers who go above and beyond to guide me in my academics. I will also miss the opportunity to participate in different organizations,” Michael said. Ariel also thought of academics: “Carrier is my second home. I will miss the smell of old books and the environment of a learning community that Carrier fosters.”

There is also the weariness of having to deal with new experiences outside of the JMU bubble. SMAD major Zach Russo isn’t looking forward to the changes. “There is a lot of stress of being a student, but this doesn’t compare to real world experience. The aspect of being a student is what I will miss most.”

Zach’s opinion is a common one. Seniors are excited to be leaving school — but are nervous nonetheless. It seems that plenty of seniors will love to come back to the university to visit old friends and reminisce on past memories.

Then there are those whose answer is short and sweet. “Well, as for me,” Rachel Schmidt commented, “I will miss everything.”

Ivelisse Flores is a senior at James Madison University. She is a Writing Rhetoric and Technical Communications major, and a Creative Writing minor. She is a Chapter Advisor for many branches across the globe, and a Contributing Writer for Her Campus JMU. A city girl from Manhattan, she loves to go out around town with a "Shop-till-you-drop" attitude. On campus, you can find Ivelisse involved in other organizations such as The Blue Ridge Church of Christ Christian Fellowship, The Society of Professional Journalists, Rudi-SIA, and Curls. An avid volunteer, Ivelisse also strives to balance her time with schoolwork as well as a part-time job with the Center For Multicultural Student Services. When she isn't looking through the latest fashion magazine, you can find Ivelisse eating massive amounts of sushi, cheesecake, or singing aloud to a Disney song on her Ipod. Ivelisse enjoys all things girly, and is fanatical about the color pink.