Wardrobe Essential: The White Blazer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Goodbye heavy winter coats, hello pretty sundresses and gladiator sandals!  Spring has officially arrived, and I think I speak for all of us when I say I couldn’t be more excited!  After months of dealing with cold weather (and realizing that snow was a no-go!) it feels good to finally shed all those bulky, unwanted layers. 

Along with a new season comes endless outfit possibilities.  In place of dark hues, it’s time to brighten up your wardrobe with brilliant pastel and bold neon colors.  If you’re looking to splurge on one investment piece this season, then make it a white blazer.  As conventional as the traditional black blazer can be, let’s face it collegiettes, nothing beats an effortlessly-cool white one.  Taking you from day to night, the white blazer will quickly become your new wardrobe staple.      

Whether your style is super preppy or chic and sophisticated, there’s no excuse not to jump on board with this trend.  Here are five springtime looks to get you excited for the white blazer (as if you weren’t already!). 

The Classroom Sophisticate

Perfect for the classroom or running errands, this outfit is chic, casual and comfortable. For those days when the weather is pesky and unpredictable, rest assured that you have the always-practical white blazer by your side.  Although you could easily style this outfit with your favorite pair of blue jeans, black ones provide for a much more streamlined look.  (I personally swear by black skinny leg jeans – they’re slimming and serve as my go-to whenever I’m in need of a quick, foolproof ensemble!)  Select a loose, carefree top with vibrant colors that complement your white blazer and finish off with a strappy pair of sandals (as a rule of thumb, gold sandals always look stunning with black).  Looking good for class has never been so easy!  

The Trendsetter

For the fashion-forward college girl who loves nothing more than mixing and matching prints, here is a look to satisfy your always evolving style.  The great thing about this outfit is that you can wear it one of two ways.  If you want a simple, casual style, ditch the blazer and wear your ensemble as is.  With a striped tee, printed floral pants and a statement-worthy bib necklace, there’s plenty of pizzazz to go around.

On occasions when you want to appear a little more put-together, slip on a white blazer and, voila!  An artsy and eclectic outfit perfect for any art opening or savvy dinner date.  Counteracting any busy prints you may be wearing, a white blazer will serve as the focus of your ensemble.  Complete your look with a standout pair of heels!

To anyone who still may be skeptical of the whole print-on-print trend, Lucky Magazine has some great advice:  “Stripes are the print version of the color navy—they’re flattering and sophisticated and can be treated as a neutral.”  So the next time you want to wear printed pants, remember that stripes are your best friend!

The Girly-Girl

Nothing says summer more than a floral printed frock (except maybe a pair of oversized shades and an ice cream cone!). 

While the look above contains a mesmerizing blue floral dress, don’t feel limited to prints.  A gorgeous pastel-colored dress in a shade such as mint green or coral will look equally dazzling.  Once you’ve selected a dress, personalize your look with a cute charm necklace or chic gold cuff.  For the finishing touch (and to completely spring-ify your look), add in a pair of neon sandals and you’re more than ready to hit the quad for some fun in the sun.

The website FabSugar puts it best, “Pair a white blazer with a whimsical spring dress for an effortlessly pulled-together outfit. Finish off the look with an extra coating of mascara, a dab of pink lipstick, and you’re set for a night out on the town.”  Yes, yes and yes!

The Preppy Collegiette

Classic oversized watch.  Check.  Adorable green striped shorts.  Check.  White boyfriend blazer…Check!  With a mere three items, you’re able to create a flawless ensemble in seconds.

I’ll be the first to admit that I’m not a major fan of shorts (I’d opt for one of my signature floral skirts or dresses any day!).  However, the thought of donning a pristine white blazer with shorts makes me want to give this look a try!  I love how this outfit is laid-back, yet still has that dressy-casual look.  While the blazer brings an air of sophistication, the shorts and sandals give it an easy, breezy summer feel!

If you adore the whole blazer with shorts combo, but want something a bit more edgy, try wearing leather shorts.  FabSugar recommends pairing your white blazer with a striped tee, leather shorts and statement platforms for a “tough-meets-girlie ensemble.”  

The Socialite

Outfits that can take a collegiette from day to night are always a plus.  After a long day of classes, who really wants to deal with the hassle of figuring out what to wear?  Thanks once again to the wear-with-everything white blazer, you’ll be ready to mix-and-mingle in no time! 

I can’t think of a more ultra-feminine combo than a white blazer and lace.  With lace being the epitome of ladylike-chic, you can’t go wrong!  For a cute day-appropriate look, opt for an effortless pair of lace-trimmed shorts and gladiator sandals.  Depending on how dressed up you want to be for your night out, you can either continue wearing the shorts or swap them out for a daring lace skirt.  By selecting a top (such as the yellow one above) that matches both lace-embellished bottoms, a quick switcheroo is completely doable.  Finish off with a pair of studded peep-toe pumps for a fierce statement!

As you can see, one white blazer is the equivalent of at least five fabulous ensembles, if not more. Don’t be afraid to put your black blazer aside (for a little while, anyway!) and try out some new looks this spring!

Sources:
http://www.luckymag.com/blogs/luckyrightnow/2012/02/I-Love-My-White-Blazer#slide=1
http://www.laurenconrad.com/post/fabsugar-five-ways-to-wear-the-white-blazer

Anjerika Wilmer is a senior at James Madison University, pursuing a degree in Art History and Media Arts & Design with a concentration in Journalism. In addition to being a Branch Manager for Her Campus, Anjerika is a contributing writer for Her Campus JMU. Over the summer, she spent five weeks abroad in Vienna, Austria in search of “the Good.” After her inspirational trip to Vienna, Anjerika hopes to see more of the world, specifically Paris and London. Obsessed with all things girly and feminine, nothing makes her happier than classic cardigans, pleated skirts and oxford shoes! A full-fledged fashionista, Anjerika dedicates her spare time to reading fashion magazines, studying runway, blogging and swooning over Olivia Palermo’s impeccable style. As for the future, she plans to attend graduate school and pursue a career in fashion journalism. Moleskine journal in hand, Anjerika is ready to take the fashion world by storm!