Top Five Songs To Add To Your Study Playlist NOW!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.
“Achilles Come Down” by Gangs of Youth

This song combines stringy instrumentals and lead singer Dave Le’aupepe’s lilting tone to evoke beautiful, lyrical images that scream “dark academia”. A great listen for when you need some of those Dead Poet Society vibes to get you through your late-night study session!

“This is me Trying” by Taylor Swift

It should come as no surprise that Taylor Swift has made an appearance on this list; her classic, relatable lyrics on this track remind the 1-hour-until-exam-time-crammer of an essential truth: you are trying! College is very rarely easy, but Swift reminds you to give yourself grace and keep pushing.

“I reached out to the city” by Maxwell Stern

Maxwell Stern is a hidden gem, a recent find of mine that I cannot stop raving about. The soft ache of his voice combined with his brilliant lyricism is sure to draw you in. Whether you are trying to knock out a few assignments or just shave down your to-do list, this song and the entirety of Stern’s discography is a must! 

“Campus” by Vampire Weekend

This song is a bit more fast-paced than the rest, but don’t let that dissuade you. The groovy instrumentals will hook you, but it’s the charming lyrics that will keep you coming back for more! Next time you’re overdue for a trip to the library but can’t seem to get out of bed, throw this one on.

“My Heart is Buried In Venice” by Ricky Montgomery

In 2020, Ricky Montgomery went viral on TikTok with his heart-shattering “Line Without A Hook”. He has a full album of equally moving ballads, one of which is “My Heart Is Buried In Venice”. This is the perfect study song, if for nothing more than Montgomery’s beautiful voice. The gentle guitar chords enhance your concentration levels while still enticing your ears. The perfect listen to round out the jams for your next cram session!

Grace is a junior at James Madison University, majoring in English and Writing, Rhetoric, & Technical Communication with a minor in Creative Writing. She enjoys reading contemporary romance novels, doing yoga, and listening to music!