This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

It’s no surprise that colleges and universities all over America have moved classes online. Not only are college students dealing with this, but also students in K-12! Everyone is practicing social distancing and staying home to help end the spread of COVID 19. This is a huge disruption to everyday schedules and we all have to adjust. These tips should help make online classes a bit easier as we all get used to being in quarantine.

Set a schedule

This one can be difficult. Home can often be seen as a place of relaxation and while it should stay that way you also do have to get coursework done. The good part is that now you can add in some more breaks and fun things to do. Before you couldn’t paint in between classes, but now that is totally doable. Little things like that can make all the difference!

Wake up early

Sleeping in can make a day seem lazy. While you don’t have to change out of your pj’s it does help to start your day a bit earlier. This will give you more time to get stuff done and you’ll be well-rested. It also gives you time to have a good breakfast. 

Move around the house

Normally each class is in a different room. It can help to move around your house for each course. Writing at your desk, math at your couch, and biology on the floor. It may sound weird, but it’ll get your body moving and your mind fresh. Just be sure to try and avoid during work in your bed.

Take breaks

In your normal schedule, you have breaks during the day, even if that is a bus ride or commute. Make sure to keep breaks during your day at home too. It’ll give your mind a rest and then you continue classes more focused. Taking a break is a great way to help your mental health. 

Eat well

When you eat well you do well. For me, it’s much easier to sip on a smoothie while studying than eating junk food. It fuels your body and brain. It’ll also keep you healthy while you stay inside. Look up some creative and healthy recipes to switch things up.

Connect with classmates online

Now is the time to make those group chats for classes. By communicating with classmates dealing with the same situation you can help do better. Zoom calls are perfect to study together and sharing notes can be so helpful. Everyone is in the same boat, so ride the waves out together!

Every student is trying to figure out this new way of learning. Sadly, semesters were cut short and we now we aren’t able to walk around campus. It’s okay to be sad and disappointed. Keep your head up because I have faith in all of you! Show those online classes what you got and study hard. You got this. 

Kate is majoring in writing, rhetoric, and technical communication and minoring in entrepreneurship. You can usually find her at Starbucks and listening to true crime podcasts.
Contributor account for Her Campus at JMU.