Tips for Résumés and Cover Letters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

We may not want to admit it, but we have reached the point in our lives where having a résumé is extremely important, and it can’t just be a few facts slapped onto paper. You may think your résumé is just fine, but you might be wrong. On the first day of classes this year, one of my professors here at JMU gave each of us a sheet filled with rules for making an effective résumé and tips for writing an impressive cover letter. I thought I knew what I was doing, but after class that day, I found myself updating and fixing my résumé for three hours. I have used my own personal experiences and assistance from my professors to gather the necessary information that can help college students make these two materials the best they can be.

Résumé Tips:

1. Here’s one I didn’t know before this year: Use your own personal email address instead of a school email address. If you don’t have an alternate option, it may be time to make one. Ditch the habit of using your college email address for situations that are not college-related.

2. If you’ve ever used an online résumé builder, you probably know that most of them will leave space for you to write an “objective” at the top. Do not do this.

3. Your résumé should not be more than one page. You may feel successful after writing ten pages of accomplishments, but don’t do that. Just one. You should even leave a little bit of breathing room.

4. Your statements should not take longer than three seconds to read. My professor calls this the “three-second rule.” Long sentences cause the reader to drift and become uninterested. Stay concise and get to the point.

5. Instead of writing full sentences, use bullets, outline form, etc.

6. Your personal skills and job descriptions should be written in present tense. For example, instead of saying, “planned events,” say, “plan events.”

7. This is another shocker: Don’t use adjectives to describe how awesome you are. For example: “Strong public speaker” or “excellent technical writer”. Apparently, that’s a big no-no.

8. Place the professional experience section before the education section.

9. Do not talk about your high school accomplishments or random side/summer jobs you have had. Only list things that are relevant.

Cover Letter Tips:

1. It should not be longer than half a page. No need for rambling. Less is more.

2. Don’t re-write your résumé in the form of a letter. This is your chance to show the employers your personality and enthusiasm for your field.

3. Don’t address anybody. Don’t say, “To Whom It May Concern.” If you feel the need to have some sort of introductory before the body, just say “Good morning” or “greetings.”

4. Don’t say, “My name is ________.” They already know your name.

5. Ask someone to review it. Ask your teachers, writer friends, etc. Don’t submit the cover letter until more eyes have seen it. It’s very easy to completely overlook little mistakes when you’re the one writing it. A fresh pair of eyes can only help.

Kanchan is a junior at James Madison University. She is in JMU's School of Media Arts and Design with a concentration in journalism and minors in both creative writing and Spanish. Her passions include writing, photography, music, and traveling. 
Hey everyone! I'm Megan, a senior at James Madison University pursuing a double major in the School of Media Arts and Design (with a concentration in journalism) and political science, and a minor in political communication. I am an avid Netflix viewer, obsessed with breakfast foods, and a yogi-- queue the headstand. I love to read news and stay up to date with all things pop culture...and I also love to write, go figure! Due to extreme wanderlust, I am always on the move, and I look forward to traveling the world and whatever comes with it. Feel free to contact me with any questions or comments you have. Enjoy!