This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Once upon a time, it was the beginning of the semester, and we were all braving the harsh winter weather. Now, as the semester comes to a close, it’s crazy to think how fast time flies. With the dreaded finals season around the corner, summer is on everyone’s mind. And if you don’t have an awesome internship lined up, tickets to great music festivals or shows, or a sweet vacation planned, then you might be wondering what you’ll be doing the next four months. If you’re like me, your parents might already be wondering why you don’t have a summer job yet.

Working in the summer might not be the glamorous fairytale vacation you were dreaming of, but it has its perks. For example, you’ll be saving up for new clothes, books for next semester or anything you want. It can be difficult finding a summer job during this economy, so here are a few tips to help you get started.

1)    Spruce up that resume! Cater your resume to what you think you want to apply for. If you have no work experience, add leadership or other skills that make you the best applicant for the job. A strong cover letter doesn’t hurt.

2)    The early bird catches the worm — start early. My experience proves that getting a late start on job hunting leaves you with everything you don’t want to do. Ask around now, check out websites like craigslist.com (be safe!), indeed.com or Google search who’s hiring in your hometown. Also look for opportunities when you’re out shopping.

3)    It’s all about who you know…use your connections. Networking. Networking. Networking. It comes in handy when you’re searching for new opportunities. Know someone with a child? Hello babysitting! Your dad’s best friend’s daughter just opened a store and needs assistance? Go for it! The best opportunities come with chance meetings and connections.

4)    It doesn’t matter where you start. Don’t limit yourself. Working in retail might sound awful, but remember, it is a summer job. You never know what connections you can make or what you’ll get out of it.

5)    Don’t go unnoticed — call back. If you’re lucky, some employers will call you within a week of submitting your application. However, that’s not always the case. Ask to speak with a manager or someone in HR, and ask if your application has been received. Letting them know that you’re interested could increase your chances for an interview.

Everyone’s job-hunting experience is different, but make it easier on yourself by following these tips. Now get out there and start your search before it’s Netflix and Hulu all day this summer. 

Chantal Johnson is a senior at James Madison University, studying Media Arts and Design with a concentration in Digital Video and Cinema. Aside from Her Campus JMU, she is involved with University Program Board. Chantal loves hanging out with her friends, listening to her "feel good" playlist on her iPod, or just curling up with a really good book in her spare time. Chantal loves her hometown, Roanoke,Virginia, but can't wait to graduate and explore her opportunities around the world! Within the next 10 years, Chantal's dream job would be becoming "the next Shonda Rhimes"!