This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

For as long as I can remember I wanted to be an elementary school teacher. All through elementary, middle, and high school it seemed like the job for me. I love kids and wanted to help people, so it made sense to pick a career where I could give back to cute little kids. I remember sitting at orientation and hearing someone say “ the majority of you are going to change your major,” looking at my mom and saying “thank goodness that isn’t going to be me,” I was set on being a teacher.  

But here we are, and fall of my sophomore year I was having a crisis. I didn’t love a club I was in, I didn’t know who my little was going to be in my sorority, my classes were hard, I was tired, and who knows what else but there were a few other crises happening. I remember sitting on the phone with my mom and crying about all of the things I was stressed about and then I said “and to make matters worse, I don’t want to be a teacher” and that’s when it hit me, I wasn’t meant to be a teacher. I talked to my best friend (and her campus writer) Brianne, and she told me all about her major. She is a media arts and design student with a concentration in video making. It made me think… maybe I could do this too. If she is taking photos and writing creative pieces for her classes, why can’t I? I did a ton of research on the major (and a ton of journaling) before coming to a decision, and now I’m ready to help you do the same thing! 

Follow your gut

I know this sounds basic but maybe play that game where a friend asks you “pizza or pasta” then “beach or city” and after answering a few as fast as you can have that friend give your two options. See what you inpluslvly say because that might be what you really want. While that major might not not seem “practical” or “realistic,” spoiler alert… it is. 

A degree is a degree

This was something my dad told me and it’s super true. Maybe if you are a doctor or a lawyer you need a specific degree (which you can always get later in life), but so many people aren’t using their degree 5 or 10 years after college. Both of my parents don’t practice what they studied. Everything happens for a reason and life will pull you in the right direction, so know that it will work out. 

Visualize your life with each career path

If you are anything like me, your two options have very different lifestyles surrounding them. I pictured my day waking up to go to an elementary school, and one waking up to go to a corporate job at a magazine. The magazine excited me just a little bit more.

Talk to a friend or advisor in that major (or both)

Definitely meet with an advisor. It is their job to tell you everything about the major and advise you. You can learn what the program entails and if it is even right for you. If you have a friend (or acquaintance) in that major, ask them all your questions. They have gone through some of the classes you are about to go through and most likely are happy to help. 

Call your mom, dad, sister, or anyone close to you who has known you for a long time

I am so lucky that my mom, dad, and grandmother were so supportive of this. I think they were shocked but also proud of me and they gave me some insight only someone who has known me for 19 years would be able to give me.

Think about how hard it will be to make a career change later in life

I was so scared that if I didn’t like being a teacher I didn’t have many other options. With a degree in Media Arts and Design there are so many possibilities. I would be open to more job opportunities if I have a crisis and want to change my life again (and im guessing I will by looking at my current pattern.)  I know it will be easier to go from having a corporate job to being a teacher than vice versa, so I know teaching isn’t entirely cut out of my life forever. 

Will you be able to graduate on time (and is that important to you)?

If this factor is not important, than skip this bullet point. But for many of you this will be an important factor. If you are still a freshman or in mostly gen eds, it will be easier. I changed as a second semester sophomore, but I had only taken gen eds for my first three semesters of college, so making the switch was pretty easy because I hadn’t taken any classes that “wouldn’t count for anything” and I wasn’t behind on major classes. I think if you can, it’s worth saying a little extra because your entire future can change with a decision like this. I understand that college is expensive and it can be really hard to stay longer, but I have found a few ways to get the most for you buck. At my school, you pay the same for an 18 credit semester as you do a 12, so you can always take some pretty heavy semesters. I have also taken classes at my community college over the summer that were pretty inexpensive and did not affect me GPA, but helped me complete the gen ed requirements (no thank you to a full semester of econ). Remember, there is ALWAYS a way. 

I really hope this helped you all. I get it, changing the course of your life is scary, but SO worth it. I love the quote “what is scarier, making a change or staying where you are,” and to me there is nothing more scary than being stuck in a life I don’t love. Remember that you are the only one living your life. Don’t waste time (or money) doing something you don’t love. 

Xoxo, 

Gracie

Grace is a Senior Media Art and Design major at James Madison University in Harrisonburg, Virginia. She has lived in Virginia her whole life, but plans on moving to New York City after graduation. Gracie loves to travel and plans on being a travel writer post-grad. Her favorite places to visit were either Munich, Germany, or Cusco, Peru. Besides Her Campus, Gracie is in Gamma Phi Beta, works as the Creative Coordinator for Bluestone Communications JMU, and writes for the culture section of The Breeze, JMU's newspaper.
School of Media Arts and Design student with a concentration in Interactive Design. Campus Correspondent for the JMU chapter of Her Campus, Campus Coordinator for Rent the Runway on Campus, and Social Media Marketing Intern for Auntie Anne's.