photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Name: Tina Magee

Year: Senior

Affiliation with Relay For Life: Luminaria Chair – Executive Board Member

What is Relay For Life?

Relay For Life is a fundraising event for the American Cancer Society. Today, more than 5,000 Relay events take place across 20 different countries. It is an event that celebrates survivors, remembers those who lost their battle against cancer, and fights back against this terrible disease! The event takes place overnight from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m.. The reasoning for this is to be symbolic of a cancer patient’s battle with cancer – by the middle of the night participants may be tired, but the end of the fight is near and the sunrise brings a new day to help create a world with less cancer and more birthdays.

How did you first get involved with Relay?

I first started getting involved with Relay For Life in high school. Then when I came to JMU, I made a Relay For Life team with my freshman year hall mates.

What was your personal donation goal for this year? Have you reached it yet?

My personal donation goal is $5,000 and I have reached and exceeded it!  So far I am at $6,520!

What can participants expect to see at Relay For Life?

Participants can see so much at the event! Every acapella group on campus will be there, Exit 247 B Flat Project, Madison Dance, Break Dance Club, and Party Cartel. There is a Buffalo Wild Wings Blazin’ Wings contest, a donut eating contest, free Campus Cookies, World Beat Dance, Sunrise Yoga, karaoke and movies in TDU, and so much more. It is going to a jam-packed event with things to do all night long!

What is your favorite part of the event?

My favorite part of the event is the Luminaria Ceremony. It is a silent ceremony that every participant comes together for to remember why they Relay. We will be having our ceremony at 9:30 p.m., and it will be a very heartfelt, emotional ceremony that allows survivors, caregivers, donors, and participants to reflect on their loved ones who they are participating for.

Why should people participate?

People should participate in Relay For Life because all the money fundraised goes directly to the American Cancer Society to help find a cure for cancer! Just about everyone has been affected by cancer or knows someone who has been affected by cancer, so this cause is one that so many people fight for and is so prevalent in our society today.

How can others help out or donate to Relay For Life?

You can donate to Relay For Life by logging onto our webpage at www.jmurelay.org or you can come to the event and donate there too! Each Luminaria bag is also a donation to ACS. Last year JMU raised over $200,000 for the American Cancer Society, and this year we are on track to do it again!

I Relay For my Mom, Janet Fattizzi.

I am a junior at JMU studying Media Arts & Design- Corporate Communication. I am a member of Phi Mu Fraternity in addition to Her Campus! I was born in Troy, OH and grew up in both Kings Mountain, NC and Richmond, VA. I am the oldest child, the only blonde in my immediate family, and the only one who has 20/20 vision.