This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

As summer break gets closer and closer, I find myself getting more excited about having a break from school and spending time relaxing. Sure, doing nothing feels good for about a day or two, and then after that it gets boring! I began thinking about some new things I could do over the summer instead of wasting my days in bed scrolling through social media. If you’re interested in reading about 5 different things to do during your summer break, keep reading!

1.Learn how to meditate

This is something that can really help you destress after a long year. Finding your zen could take some trial and error, so there’s no better time to try it out than your summer break! Once you get the hang of it, you could even use it during your next school year as a way to manage your stress.

2. Pick up a new hobby

I know this sounds basic, but it could turn into something you really love! Try to find something new to do every day, whether it’s painting, going for walks around the neighborhood, picking up your old guitar and learning some new songs, or even writing. I heard about this super cool online magazine called HerCampus, maybe if you enjoy writing you could join!

3. Take a day trip

travel adventure sunset jeep road trip
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus

Depending on where you live, this could mean a lot of different things. If you’re near the coast, grab a friend or two and head to the beach for the day! If you’re not, maybe see if there is somewhere nearby where you could go hiking, or visit a pond and go fishing, or even go tubing in a river! If you’re not the outdoorsy type, take the trip to the huge mall that’s far away or even that fancy restaurant you have been dying to try!

4. Try new recipes

If you enjoy cooking or at least trying to cook, look up some cool recipes on Pinterest and try them out! I also love recreating famous TikTok meals that come up on my feed. Whether it’s a pasta dish, a healthy salad, a delicious smoothie bowl, or even a chocolate chip cookie dessert I’m sure it will be delicious and you might even have some fun making it!

5. Go through your closet

13 going on 30 closet?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Columbia Pictures / Revolution Studios

Summertime could be the best time to do “spring cleaning” because we all know it takes forever to do. Going through your closet could take a long time but it’s definitely worth it in the end. A good rule to go by is to get rid of something if you have not worn it within the last year. Gather up all the things you no longer need and donate them! Who knows, maybe some of the things you donate could be someone’s favorite thrift find!

Sophomore Media Arts and Design major with a concentration in Interactive Design and a minor in Educational Media. Member of social media team and Twitter manager for Her Campus JMU!