The Rest is Still Unwritten – How Anyone But You Revived Rom-Coms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

*Spoilers Ahead!*

The rom-com genre has remained untouched since Netflix binge-releases of anything starring Noah Centineo. Even then, romcoms were binged on our laptops as we laid in our beds. It is also common that romcoms, when released, go straight to On Demand or some unknown streaming service like Vudu. Honestly, the genre has been set up to fail. That was until the release of Anyone But You, a romcom with an actual theater release, press, and advertisements.

Anyone But You is an enemies-to-lovers, fake dating romance with the close proximity trope sprinkled into it. Bea (played by Sydney Sweeney) and Ben (played by Glen Powell) have an initial meet-cute and an unforgettable first date…that is until Bea hears Ben describe her as a “mess” to his best friend and say that he couldn’t get her out of his apartment “fast enough.” Ouch.

Of course, their paths cross again when Bea’s sister and Ben’s friend get engaged and they’re met with mutual hatred for the other. Ben (because Bea left his apartment without a word) and Bea (because of how brutally Ben described her). The two find themselves in Australia stuck together for the wedding with fuming hatred. The two finally hatch a plan to fake date so that Ben can catch the attention of his ex and so that Bea can prove to her ex and her family that she’s officially moved on.

Obviously, lines begin to get blurred between what’s real and what’s fake and mess and miscommunications leads to an adorable, final love declaration scene. When I watched this movie in theaters (twice), the audience made this movie a joy to watch. The eruption of laughter when Bea discovers Ben’s “serenity song” (“Unwritten” by Natasha Bedingfield) made this movie so much fun. Glen Powell and Sydney Sweeney’s banter and chemistry made this movie so enjoyable and made me so excited for the theater romcoms to come. 

If you need a romcom for Valentine’s Day or just a little pick-me up, Anyone But You is the way to go! 

Amanda is a freshman Writing and Rhetoric major with a Creative Writing minor at James Madison University. Amanda loves binge-watching "Sex and the City", drinking iced lattes, cuddling cats, reading romance and thriller novels, and listening to music (Taylor Swift, Phoebe Bridgers, Gracie Abrams, and Olivia Rodrigo mostly). Ultimately, Amanda wishes to pursue a career involving writing, reading, editing, or publishing.