Ten Reasons Fat-Talk-Free Month Should Not Stop in October

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

1. Fat Talk isn’t about being overweight. In fact, Fat Talk has nothing to do with your size at all.

2. Research indicates that 90% of women engage in Fat Talk regularly, and for what? Swap out fat talk for something you love about yourself or someone else. Spread the positivity, ladies.

3. Fat Talk is not limited to women, and while men tend to be less verbal in their insecurities, they are just as affected by it. Just because you are hanging out with the guys doesn’t mean your words are any less effective.

4. We have a chance to take the body shaming negativity and turn it around by being body positive and choosing to spread that same spirit.

1. To feel beautiful, you have to believe it; we know you are! Pressure to conform to the rigid standards in our society leads to guilt. This is a type of internal fat talk that we let manifest when we look in the mirror. Shut that down right now! If you wouldn’t say it out loud to a friend, why would you say it to yourself?

1. The goal is to change the way we see, not the way we look.

2. Giving compliments feels just as good as receiving them, but don’t forget to compliment yourself too.

3. #4 on the list of JMU student concerns is “feeling better about my body and how I look”. You only have one body; treat it well and love it for every fabulous flaw!

4. Acceptance starts from within; end the fat talk internally and help others to do the same. Soon we will all be walking around on our personal catwalk, strutting our stuff with killer confidence.

5. WE ARE ALL BEAUTIFUL. You are enough… just the way you are!

Hey everyone! I'm Megan, a senior at James Madison University pursuing a double major in the School of Media Arts and Design (with a concentration in journalism) and political science, and a minor in political communication. I am an avid Netflix viewer, obsessed with breakfast foods, and a yogi-- queue the headstand. I love to read news and stay up to date with all things pop culture...and I also love to write, go figure! Due to extreme wanderlust, I am always on the move, and I look forward to traveling the world and whatever comes with it. Feel free to contact me with any questions or comments you have. Enjoy! 
Aleixka has a B.A. in Media Arts and Design and a minor in Spanish from James Madison University. She loves all things books, traveling, food, and photography.