This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Since JMU is a fairly large campus, with many beloved buildings, it makes sense that some gems tend to fly under the radar. In my opinion, Taylor Down Under falls into this category because it does not get the respect it deserves among JMU students. Frankly, Taylor Down Under has much more to offer than some of the more popular places on campus and is incredibly underrated.

In comparison to the Student Success Center or either of the libraries, TDU is normally not even close to crowded. With finals week coming up, it is miraculous to find anywhere on campus where you can find a seat by an outlet. AT TDU there are many couches which are perfectly placed right next to outlets as well as many long tables which are great for working on group projects or simply studying with friends. Plus TDU always has music playing in the background which I personally like. But let’s be real, college isn’t just about studying. Need a study break? Well at TDU you can munch on Auntie Anne’s cinnamon bites, play a game of pool, or listen in to live musical performances or poetry.

So why isn’t TDU a more popular place on campus? I think it’s simply due to the fact that people don’t really know what it is. Up until last year second semester, I was one of those people. I knew that TDU existed, knew it was a part of Madison Union, but had no idea what it had to offer. I also think that since TDU is part of Madison Union people do not think of it as its own entity. So this finals week instead of fighting for a table at the library, just relax at TDU instead.

My guilty pleasure is watching reality tv and living vicariously through them.
School of Media Arts and Design student with a concentration in Interactive Design. Campus Correspondent for the JMU chapter of Her Campus, Campus Coordinator for Rent the Runway on Campus, and Social Media Marketing Intern for Auntie Anne's.