The Sweetest Treats for Your Man

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

So the groundhog says spring is near and with the warm weather rapidly approaching, love is in the air! But who could forget the romantic holiday that is just right around the corner? (As much as some of us ladies may try and forget.) Valentine’s Day is coming up, and whether you’re in a relationship, just starting to have a crush or spending February 14 curled up on the couch in sweats with a box of wine and your best girl friends (guilty), everyone needs a little sweetness on this day.

You don’t have to be a gourmet chef to please your man this Valentine’s Day but they say the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach, so here are a few simple dessert recipes that should really pull at his heart strings.

1. Red Velvet Oreo Truffle Bars

What You’ll Need:

• 1 Duncan Hines box Red Velvet cake mix
  • 1 cup butter, melted
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 1 package Oreos
  • 8-oz. package cream cheese
  • 1 package (1lb) chocolate bark (CandiQuick)

What to do:

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Combine cake mix, melted butter, egg, water and vanilla extract and mix well until thoroughly combined (2-3 minutes on medium of electric mixer).
  2. Spray a 9×13 (or any size you have, it will still work) with nonstick spray. Pour in red velvet brownie batter.
  3. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean (ovens vary so watch closely).
  4. Crush package of Oreos in a food processor (or in a large plastic bag and rolling pin).
  5. Melt cream cheese for 15 seconds in a microwave to soften.
  6. Stir together crushed Oreos and cream cheese until blended smooth.
  7. Carefully spread out Oreo truffle mixture on top of baked red velvet brownies. Use your hands to help press it down instead of spreading to avoid tearing the brownies.
  8. Melt chocolate candy bark and pour over top of Oreo truffle layer.
  9. Sprinkle with mini chocolate chips while still warm.
  10. Let cool completely before cutting into squares.

2. Heart Shaped Rice Krispies Treats

What You’ll Need:

• 4 cups mini-marshmallows
  • 3 tbsp of butter
  • Red food coloring
  • 6 cups Rice Krispies

What to do:

1. Melt 4 cups of mini-marshmallows in a pan with 3 tablespoons of butter
  2. Add 3 drops of red food coloring and stir
  3. Dump in 6 cups of Rice Krispies and stir again
  4. Press into a greased 9×13 pan, and let cool for two or three minutes
  5. Flip the pan of treats out onto a cutting board 
  6. Cut out shapes – like hearts –– with cookie cutters
  7. Cool a little longer, and then eat!

3. Loaded Cookie Bars

What You’ll Need:

• One 16.5-oz. roll refrigerated sugar cookie dough, at room temperature
  • 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter chips
  • 1 cup M&M’s chocolate candies
  • 1/2 cup macadamia nuts, chopped
  • Thoroughly mix ingredients together with your hands. 

What to do:

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9×9-inch square baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
  2. Combine ingredients in a large bowl.
  3. Press the mixture into the prepared baking dish, and distribute the dough evenly. There will be some extra goodies at the bottom of your mixing bowl.
  4. Top the bars with the extra candies, nuts, chocolate chips and peanut butter chips.

Sources:

http://www.pipandebby.com/pip-ebby/2012/1/30/loaded-cookie-bars.html
http://lisakisch.typepad.com/babies_paper_and_song/2011/02/valentine-rice-krispies-treats.html
http://pizzazzerie.com/recipes/valentines-day-red-velvet-oreo-truffle-brownie-bars/

I'm currently a Senior WRTC major and Human Resource Development minor at James Madison University. I'm an executive member of Alpha Sigma Alpha Sorority and also an executive member of the Human Resource Development Club. I've been involved in HerCampus JMU since my freshman year and am from New Fairfield, CT!