Study Break-JMU Arboretum Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

As we come to the end of the semester, it becomes harder to find time for you during the daily grind. It’s now more than ever that you need and deserves a little fresh air and space to breathe. Sometimes all you want it to take a stroll in the sunshine; and what better place to go to find some peace of mind than JMU’s very own Arboretum? Lucky for you, I’ve found 5 wonderful things to do at the Arboretum when you’re in need of a study break in the next few weeks.

1)      Yoga – There’s nothing more relaxing that practicing your breathing and doing some stretching in the sunshine. From 8:30-9:30 am every Saturday, instructors from The Nest Yoga and Fitness Studio are waiting for you on the Ernst Terrace of the Arboretum. Visit www.thenestyoga.org to register for free!

2)      Tai Chi – Learn how to do mesmerizing and stress reducing exercises at free Tai Chi lessons on Monday evenings from 4:30-5:30 pm on the Lawn of the Arboretum. Enjoy the feelings of relaxation it brings and reap the health benefits too!

3)      Labyrinth – One of the most interesting places in the Arboretum is the Labyrinth. Stones have been arranged carefully to form a path that circles in on itself. The short trip will surely leave you feeling more at ease and ready for another all-nighter at the library.

4)      Plant Sale – On April 21 and 22 the Arboretum will be selling plants from 9am-3pm in honor of Arbor Day. Take a study break to go smell the flowers and maybe take one home with you to brighten up your apartment!

5)      Wildflower Walk – On May 3 at 10am, stop by the Arboretum to enjoy a guided tour. If the timing doesn’t work for you, go anytime to enjoy a walk through the flowers on your own. The views of nature, the fragrance of blossoming flowers, and the soft sounds of Spring are sure to make you smile.

I hope you take advantage of these study break opportunities and finish out this semester strong!

all pictures were provided by the Edith J. Carrier Arboretum Marketing & Social Media Assistant, Mallory Pound

Welcome! I'm Katelyn, a senior Writing Rhetoric and Technical Communication major at James Madison University. I love cats, sunshine, and popular writing.
Rachel graduated from the Honors College at James Madison University in May 2017 and is pursuing a career in the media/PR industry. She majored in Media Arts & Design with a concentration in journalism and minored in Spanish and Creative Writing. She loves spending time with friends and family, traveling, and going to the beach.