This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

For years, Springfest was a tradition here at JMU, with epic partying and loud music. But since the crazies at Springfest 2010 decided to burn trashcans and riot, the parties didn’t really happen last year. Instead, JMU tried to clean up that negative image with the first-annual concert fun of Madipalooza and the community service efforts of The Big Event. About 1,000 people participated last year, and many more went to Madipalooza (mechanical bull rides, bounce castles and great bands—what could be better?).

This year, JMU is planning bigger and better things for Madipalooza and The Big Event, both on April 14. They are predicting higher turnout, and have more activities lined up for Madipalooza (zip-line, anyone?). The thought is that the more alternatives to partying there are, the less people will party. It seemed to work last year, but then again, it was also raining, and everyone knew that the cops were prowling. So what about this year? Do you think that Springfest should return, or are you glad to see it go?

Alexa is a junior from Cream Ridge, New Jersey.  She is studying Media Arts & Design with a concentration in Corporate Communication and minors in Creative Writing and Anthropology.  She works for the JMU Office of Residence Life as a Program Adviser and as the Graphics Editor for The Breeze.  She loves watching The Bachelor, pinning to her fashion boards and running outside.   Alexa aspires to work in the glamouous fashion magazine industry in New York City or LA.