Signs Your Relationship Should End

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

There is no perfect time to end a relationship, but when communication flops and you’re unhappy, sometimes there is no other option. The ability to believe and encourage a partner’s goals and dreams is an important role in the success of any relationship. One thing to keep in mind is that mistrust in a relationship results in health problems. Another thing to look out for is the inability to see potential of a relationship in the future–that’s just grounds for separation. These things, along with other possible issues, are accurate predictors for an ending relationship.

Believing in the abilities of a partner strengthens the belief of ability in the relationship. Failure to listen and show genuine care for the goals of your partner causes so much tension and resentment that eventually bubbles up and may kill the relationship. Even if goals and dreams are not mutual, support for success both individually and as a couple are crucial to give life to those goals and dreams. Mutual excitement for dreams and ambitions should be considered something that comes easily to a successful relationship. How are you supposed to be happy with someone if you know they’re not always on your side and happy for you.

Showing complete disinterest in the aspirations of a partner is one way of ignoring the key issue at hand— the absence of trust. When you have any ounce of distrust, there is not a relationship worth maintaining. It’s also been said that lack of trust does in fact cause health problems. The more a person obsesses over the possibilities of dishonesty in the relationship, the more a person creates anxiety, fear, and depression symptoms for him or herself.

When trust in the relationship is at stake, attempting to create a future together is not only silly but is also asking for heartbreak. “Relationship talk” is the type of discussion couples find themselves having about the future of their relationship. The lack of relationship talk could be a sign that there is in fact nothing to talk about; the relationship is essentially over and it’s just a matter of time. Knowing that a relationship is not going anywhere is a waste of time and effort when Mr. Right is out there somewhere.

Ending a relationship is never easy. Assessing what is important in a relationship will be different for each couple. However, support for one another’s goals and dreams, trust for a healthy relationship, and seeing a future together need to be present to keep the love alive. A relationship that ends is not always a failure; there is something to be learned from each experience and that can be carried through to the next.

Have you ever thought "Am I the only one who..."? I'm sure you have, and I promise you're not. Live the life you love. I don't take things too seriously, because life is too short to be so obsessed with what everyone thinks of me. I became a writer so I could say what everyone else is thinking. I believe that treating others the way you want to be treated means you will never have to regret a decision you make. I make mistakes, but that's what makes great articles!