Reviews of the Latest Netflix Teen Rom-Coms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Over the past couple of months, our favorite bingeing site has been spewing out Netflix originals faster than any of us can keep up. While these entertaining romantic comedies are always a good pick to keep us company on a rainy day, choosing one to add to your list of favorite movies is another story.

CAUTION: Potential spoilers ahead.  

The Kissing Booth

The Kissing Booth, written and directed by Vince Marcello, is a classic teen-crush fantasy movie that will leave you laughing. While most of us can relate to Elle Evans (Joey King) about having a forbidden crush on one of friends older siblings, the events of this story are slightly unrealistic. One, is when would a school ever find a kissing booth as an appropriate option for a school organized fundraiser? Or that through some random sequencing of events Elle would end up kissing Noah Flynn (Jacob Elordi)? Or even more unbelievable, who gets to have a steamy night underneath the Hollywood letters?? I don’t think so. Overall, this movie is essentially a fever-dream representation of High School and its relationships, but it does make for a very entertaining two hours.

Sierra Burgess is a Loser

In Sierra Burgess is a Loser, directed by Ian Samuels, our hearts fell for the relatable, awkward teen Sierra played by Shannon Purser. Although we wanted to see her find love, the way in which she went about doing so was wrong and sets a bad example for young girls who watch this movie. It essentially states that lying to a boy and betraying your friend ultimately has no consequences and you will still have your happy ending. Although her relationship with Jamey (Noah Centineo) is problematic, the true saving factor of this movie is the character development between Veronica (Kristine Froseth). Watching their rivalry transform into a friendship was truly beautiful and the story should have ended with that as opposed to the mess it folded itself into. Sierra Burgess is a Loser took us through an emotional rollercoaster, and certainly had its good moments, and its bad. But at the end of the day, it will remain a good movie choice for curling up with a bag of popcorn on a rainy day.

To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before

Finally, To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before, is the high school rom-com we have all been waiting for. Based off of Jenny Han’s New York Time’s Best-Selling novel, the film adaptation directed by Susan Johnson was well executed in displaying this heart-warming story. Not only was a love story, it was a story about family, as well as a coming-of-age tale. Sure this story has its flaws, but what love movie doesn’t? This story takes us through the life of Lara Jean (Lana Condor) as she battles with accepting herself, accepting her sister leaving for college, and experiencing her first (somewhat) real relationship. And of course, we all love seeing Noah Centineo as Peter. If there is a Netflix candidate to add to your list of top movies, this one is certainly 2018’s choice.

Overall, all of these movies are a perfect excuse to grab a best friend, make some snacks and cuddle up together for a movie night. They’ll leave you laughing, and in some cases crying, as you watch these teenage love stories unfold.

Lexie is a marketing & music gal, who enjoys listening to Taylor Swift, drinks an alarming amount of cold brew & loves going to concerts!