The Reality of “Adulting”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Being a freshman, this reality started not even 2 months ago- and as you all may know, it hasn’t been ALL fun and games.

1. Laundry

Yeah, I did some laundry here and there when I was in high school and know the basic stuff, but toting it up and down the resident hall stairwells, paying/swiping, and actually REMEMBERING to bring your tide pods has been the ultimate reality shock for me and my fellow hallmates. Not to mention how I have already accidentally dried one of my favorite Rayon dresses and it shrank so much a toddler could probably wear it… If only we could all be like this guy come laundry day:

2. Grocery Shopping

Not only is it a struggle to carry all of my grocery bags onto a packed bus to and from Walmart, but also finding the willpower to NOT grab 7 packs of Pop-Tart’s and Cheez-it’s to then stuff my face with at 2am on Friday night has me fighting an internal, uphill battle in the middle of the aisle.

3. Cleaning

The harsh reality that my mom isn’t gonna be here to vacuum the living room anymore hit me about one week in as the piles of dirt and dust already started to accumulate over the suite floor. Not to mention the rancid smell that your refrigerator emits when you forget to throw out your leftover rice bowl from Freshens… Hey, it happens to the best of us.

4. Eating Healthy

I’m really starting to miss my mom’s home cooked, healthier meals at the end of a long day back home. Utilizing the all-mighty, all-you-can-eat meal plan at E-Hall and not getting any homemade ice cream seems sinful to one, but living the “healthy adult life” comes at a cost I guess.

5. Getting Sick

Being on your own while getting sick has to be one of the most miserable things. I personally got sick my third week being here (as everyone catches the inevitable “Freshman Plague” since being herded into a cesspool of germs all throughout FROG Week), and I called my mom probably every 3 hours begging her to come get me and take care of my sick self.  

Overall: life is tough, but having the freedom and agency to make your own decisions is pretty eye-opening and has opened a window of opportunities to grow and explore different parts of myself.

I am a sophomore Communications Studies major with a concentration in Public Relations and a minor in Political Communication!
Hello, it's me. Edel (pronounced like the singer), was previously Assistant Social Editor, Video for Her Campus Media. She graduated in May 2018  from James Madison University in with a double major in Media Arts and Design and Communications Studies. Before joining the HC girl gang full-time she was the Campus Correspondent for the JMU Her Campus Chapter. She's an avid social media user, food enthusiast, and shopping extraordinaire. You can catch her taking a coffee break or binge-watching romantic comedies on Netflix.