This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

With the release of Ariana Grande’s 7th album, Eternal Sunshine, just a week away, it feels appropriate that we take a walk down memory lane and reflect on her past 6 albums.

6. Yours Truly (2013)

If anything, it’s a good thing that this album comes in last for me. An artist should be growing and improving with every album, so it’s no surprise that her debut album is in this slot. That being said, by no means is Yours Truly a bad album, and several of the songs are still stand outs in her career.

Favorite Tracks: “The Way”, “Popular Song”, and “Daydreamin'”

5. Positions (2020)

I know this is a HOT take, but Positions really fell short for me in the grand scheme of Grande’s albums. With the release of the lead single, “positions”, I was extremely hopeful for the rest of the album, especially with the unique, strings-based instrumental of the song, but found myself bored with the majority of the other tracks. While I rarely find myself reaching back for this album, there were still definitely some highlights.

Favorite Tracks: “just like magic”, “positions”, and “motive (with Doja Cat)”

4. My Everything (2014)

While it feels criminal to put her breakout album so low, coming in at 4th is My Everything. Though the album is a little bit weak thematically, nor is it her strongest production wise, this is our first taste of how truly magnificent her vocals are. Nearly every song on the track list holds a place in my childhood heart, and all of the hits are on my nostalgia playlist.

Favorite Tracks: “Why Try”, “Break Free”, and “Be My Baby”

3. Sweetner (2018)

In complete honesty, Sweetner flips between the second and third rankings for me, truly just depending on my mood at the time. Not only does this album feature my two favorite songs in her discography, “goodnight n go” and “everytime”, but it is also our first taste of her open and honest songwriting ability. On top of that, this album is where we see Grande’s signature genre, a combination of pop, R&B, and hip-hop, come into full bloom, where it continues into her following albums. My only complaint? Some of the songs feel a bit monotonous in production, but it’s hard to be upset with such a sonically cohesive album.

Favorite Tracks: “goodnight n go”, “everytime”, and “R.E.M”

2. Dangerous Woman (2016)

Talk about an iconic era!! Dangerous Woman marked the shedding of the youthful, bubbly Ariana Grande we once knew and unveiled a new, mature sound and style. This album was the soundtrack behind my early teen years, with fun features and lyricism. Not only that, but every aspect of this era was defining, marked most notably by the bunny mask on the album cover.

Favorite Tracks: “Bad Decisions”, “Everyday” and “Leave Me Lonely”

1. thank u, next (2019)

When asked what I consider to be a perfect album, thank u, next is always the answer to come to mind. The album seems to encompass nearly every emotion a young woman experiences in her love life in only 12 tracks. From the impactful songwriting to Grande’s best and most unique production to date, every track is flawless. On top of that, this era produced ICONIC music videos and even broke chart and streaming records upon its release. I can truly see this going down as the best record of her career. Eternal Sunshine has some big standards to live up to.

Favorite Tracks: “bad idea”, “bloodline”, “in my head”

Carly is a biology major with minors in pre-physician’s assistant and honors. Outside of school, Carly enjoys swimming, reading, watching sports, and all things pop culture.