Culture > News

A Quick Update on the Australian Brush Fires

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Australia has recently been terrorized by intense wildfires that covered the nation. It is an environmental crisis, with Australian emergency services working frantically to keep the fires under control. Many people and animals have been run out of their homes due to the destruction these fires brought with them. 

While many were able to make it out, unfortunately, the lives of 28 people were lost. Thousands more will be affected by the aftermath of the fires, homeless as more than 3,000 homes were destroyed. Over half a million animals were killed in the fires, including ⅓ of the Australian Koalas (a species already greatly declining in population). 

However, Australia is only halfway through its dry season, meaning the fires are not over yet.

Many countries have been helping out by providing firefighters and emergency officials, including the U.S, Canada, and New Zealand. But there’s more work to be done and many ways that you can contribute! 

Small donations can go a long way, here’s a list of organizations that have been working tirelessly to help the relieve the victims of these fires: 

The Australian Red Cross

The NSW Rural Fire Service

WIRES Wildlife Rescue 

Currumbin Wildlife Hospital 

A few dollars from a few people can help tremendously in relief efforts for the people and animals of Australia. 

Citations: 

Yeung, Jessie. “What You Need to Know about Australia’s Deadly Wildfires.” CNN, Cable News Network, 14 Jan. 2020, www.cnn.com/2020/01/01/australia/australia-fires-explainer-intl-hnk-scli/index.html.

Graduated the Math and Science High School at Clover Hill in 2018 Attends James Madison University, majoring in Media Arts and Design with a concentration in Digital Video and Cinema
School of Media Arts and Design student with a concentration in Interactive Design. Campus Correspondent for the JMU chapter of Her Campus, Campus Coordinator for Rent the Runway on Campus, and Social Media Marketing Intern for Auntie Anne's.