This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Name: PJ Amato

Year: Sophomore

Major: International Affairs

Hometown: Lake Ronkonkoma, NY. I am just your typical Long Island boy.

Campus Involvement: Brother of Phi Sigma Pi, Student Ambassador, and an SGA Senator

What’s the most fun or rewarding thing you’ve experienced while at JMU?

The pride and sense of community that JMU has to offer has by far been the most rewarding experience. Second to the JMU community would be my involvements on campus. I am so thankful to have numerous families here at JMU! While the entire JMU family is warm and welcoming, it has been a true honor to get to know other members of JMU on a more intimate and personal level. We have hundreds of extraordinary peers here on campus.

What advice would you give to students who want to become more involved?

First of all, be unapologetically yourself. Let people love you for you. Beyond that, I believe there is a home for everyone here on campus. Don’t ever stop looking for that home or your ‘people.’ If that means starting your own organization or group then go ahead and start one! Make your college experience unique and special. Reach out of your comfort zone, too. You never know what is out there unless you take that first step.

On an average weekday, where are you most likely to found around campus?

I live in Carrier Library. That place is my true home. I have plans in the works to be buried there because I love it so much. To be honest, I do more socializing than studying there, but it’s a library so I must be learning something, right?

Hard-hitting, serious question: Dunkin’ or Starbucks?

Gosh, I like both but for different reasons. I drink Starbucks when I want to feel sophisticated and I drink Dunkin’ to keep me grounded and connected to the motherland (aka NY).

Junior SMAD major and Creative Writing Minor. Lover of Taylor Swift, copious amounts of coffee, and liquid eyeliner.
Aleixka has a B.A. in Media Arts and Design and a minor in Spanish from James Madison University. She loves all things books, traveling, food, and photography.