Pinterest Nail Trends Tested: Black & White

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Trend One: Black Tips

This trend is a chic way to upgrade basic black tips, and is a great look for fall. First, I painted a base coat on my nails using Essie Hi Maintenance. After letting that dry, I used Maybelline Onyx Rush for the tips. This trend was much easier to paint than I expected it to be! One hint for executing this trend is to grow out your nails and then file them into a square shape. This makes it much easier to apply the black nail polish. Other than getting some black polish on my fingers around my nail, this trend was incredibly simple. This look is great for anyone who wants to a sophisticated and modern nail look, and is getting tired of the basic French manicure.

Trend Two: Black & White Polka Dots

This look combines the playfulness of polka dots with the sophistication of the black and white color combo. First I painted four of my nails with Revlon Spirit. I would highly suggest this brand if you’re looking for a white polish- it only takes a few coats to get a nice, even white color, unlike other polishes that require many coats. After the white I used the Maybelline Onyx Rush on my accent nail. To get the polka dots, I used a bobby pin and applied some polish to one of the round tips. A bobby pin is an easy and effective way to get round and even polka dots. The Pinterest trend used more of an ombre effect when applying the polka dots, but I went for a more evenly spaced look. I love how the black and white really contrast in this trend, and it adds a lot of interest to your nails without being overpowering.

Trend Three: Matte with Shiny Tips

This look is stylish and modern, and is also a fresh take on basic black nails. I used the Maybelline Onyx Rush for my black base coat, and then went over that with OPI Matte Top Coat. If you’ve never used matte before, you should definitely try it! It applies just like a clear coat, but dries matte. After letting the matte dry, I used another bobby pin to paint on the shiny tips. Bobby pins are really useful in applying small shapes and lines on nails. I think this look is perfect for anyone who loves to use dark nail shades during the fall and winter seasons, but wants to add more visual interest.

Although these trends may look difficult or complicated, they were actually very straightforward and simple. With the right polishes and a few bobby pins, anyone can use these trends on their own nails. Whether you’re looking for simple but chic black tips, funky black and white polka dots, or modern black matte, give these Pinterest trends a try!