PCB for Spring Break: Hot or Not?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

It has long been said that Panama City Beach, Florida (more widely known as PCB) is THE place to be for spring break, especially for us “wild ‘n’ crazy” college students. I mean, who could resist the warm, sunny beaches of Florida and the vibrant nightlife that this destination offers? But at the same time, some would argue that it’s not worth your money or your time to spend your well-deserved break at an overcrowded beach or club that’s full of people who are more than likely pretty smashed. So what’s the real deal? Is PCB actually as crazy as everyone says?

So I can’t exactly say from experience what it’s like to be in Panama City for spring break. I CAN however attest to just how expensive it really is. A few of my friends from home and I had temporary plans to vacation there for this year’s break, considering it’s the only place that’s actually above 60 degrees this time of year… After doing some research, we started looking at hotels to book for about 5 nights and let me tell you, they are PRICEY. For about 5 or 6 people we each would have had to pay around $300 plus expenses for food, events, and the cost of travel (which in and of itself would start to rack up quickly, what with the 14 hour drive and all). And on top of that, the hotels themselves were not exactly your clean, free-continental-breakfast kinds of places. Needless to say, we quickly came to realize that we’re broke college students and were not about that money-spending life.

Even though we opted out of this hot spot for break, we also weren’t extremely bent on going. For those of you out there who REALLY want to cross this off your bucket list, it can still be done! Just don’t have high expectations of a glamorous getaway and be prepared for your bank account to be looking a little sadder after break is done. But besides the rational aspects of this trip, there are some plus sides to choosing PCB for break. As I already mentioned earlier, but can’t emphasize enough, is the fact that you’ll be at the beach!!! Sand, sun, and surf is what spring break should be all about and you’re sure to get plenty of all of those in PCB. JMU Senior, Keith Hutchison, made the trek down to PCB last spring break and apparently loved it enough to go again this year. “It’s the state-side Cancun! A ton of people, a lot to do all the time, and memories, or lack thereof for some people… Definitely worth the trip!”

There are countless eateries and restaurants that are unique to the area, not to mention all the bars, concerts and performances, and other awesome things that are available for the thousands of spring breakers that make their way to PCB every year. Maybe you’re even hoping for a little spring fling while enjoying yourself over break..? You’re bound to have a good time when you put a bunch of college kids on a beach during their break from the stresses of academic life! Although it may all be fun and games, I can’t help but say to still be careful and keep your girlfriends by your side, which should actually make your vacay even more exciting!

Now that you know both sides of this decision, is PCB hot or not?! It ultimately comes down to this: it’s all what YOU want to make of it! If you love to party, bar-hop, and meet tons of new people then PCB will be sure to bring you all of that and more…plennnty more. But if that’s not really your scene all the time and you just want a beach getaway, then you can still make this trip something fun to remember. The hotels that are closer to the actual city are more likely to be slightly on the crazier side, but you can always opt to stay a little out of the way yet still be close enough to go to events if you should want to. Unfortunately, the crowded beach situation will be hard to avoid, but just keep an open mind and focus on the R & R that you and your vacationmates deserve. This area has a lot of aspects, both positive and negative, that appeal to all kinds of people from around the nation, and if you choose to join in on the experience that is PCB, then make the most of what you and your friends want and you’ll be golden!